US Client Expectation

• Doesn't matter... I have some fellow Americans that I can't understand sometimes... I do just like I would do with anyone else... I say "I heard you, but I couldn't understand what you were saying." If I'm having difficulty with a particular word or phrase, I ask them to repeat it more slowly and, sometimes, to even spell it out. And it all has to be done very politely.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (5/28/2008)

Doesn't matter... I have some fellow Americans that I can't understand sometimes... I do just like I would do with anyone else... I say "I heard you, but I couldn't understand what you were saying." If I'm having difficulty with a particular word or phrase, I ask them to repeat it more slowly and, sometimes, to even spell it out. And it all has to be done very politely.

And if it turns out to be a word you don't know - just ask for the background. Get them to describe what they mean; you may learn some jargon. The fact that you doggedly "demand" to understand what they are looking for shows you care about the project execution, so it's essentially a good thing.

Again it's better for them to get the message that there's a bit of a communication challenge than to think you're incompetent because you're not delivering what they want. You may ultimately end up losing the contract if the language barrier is too great, but you won't walk away with a bruised/damaged reputation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Many people say I have a 'Chinese' accent when I talk in English but so far no one complains about it, except maybe they laugh a couple time when I could not pronounce the word correctly sometimes liked I tried to say 'SAS' and they thought I said 'SEX'. We all laughed about it, no big deal. People understand. Even I live in US for 25 years, I still have a hard time understand southern accent or some people talking 'ebony', I think that is what it is. Sometimes I have a hard time to understand English accent or Australian accent (that is even worse than English accent) too. So don't feel bad.

Worse comes to worse, email your client and ask your client explain in writing.

Your boss is too tough. As long as your client is happy, what is he complaining about? Tell him to talk to your client and see if he understands everything he says.

• Try to repeat what your client says and let him/her confirm/clarify. For example, if I understand you correctly or correct me if I am wrong, you are saying blah blah blah… Are you saying…? Do you mean…?

If it is for meeting, prepare an agenda and related paper work to keep them on track. Plus meeting minutes helps for both sides.

It is a two-way communication. You client may know his has accent. If you have patience to understand him/her, s/he would appreciate your efforts.

• And consider this...your client might be having trouble understanding YOU. Do you make sure that he/she has a clear understanding of what you have said?

One way to 'break the ice' is to say, "I'm from India (or wherever) and I know that I have an accent that might make it difficult to be understood sometimes. Please let me know if I am not being clear as I would not want there to be any misunderstanding between us."

Likewise, let your client know when you don't understand something. If you go away from the conversation without saying anything, your client has to assume that you fully understood everything and you can't go back later and say - I didn't understand our last conversation. Too late then.

-SQLBill

• I grew up in Norway, learned "proper" in English in school. At some point could even speak cockney English with the natives. Today after having lived in the US for 18 years, I have a hard time understanding "proper" British accent.

As people above has said, ask them to repeat. Are there other people in the same office in the US you have contact with? Do you have the same problem with them?

Watching American movies etc might be good. Or maybe even radio since then you can just concentrate on listening.

• Watching American movies etc might be good. Or maybe even radio since then you can just concentrate on listening.

Ya, I have started to watch english movies which is having lot of conversations.

Are there other people in the same office in the US you have contact with? Do you have the same problem with them?

The thing is , i could able to understand his and other peoples accent, but i couldn't able to understand some silent words. also if they talk too fast, i loose the conversation.

karthik

• You remind me the quote, "The important thing is to keep the important thing as important thing"

Looks like you are overwhelmed with this issue. Some times you have put things in the right perspective. Your boss might have meant something different than just understanding the client. Talk to your manager and have him/her explain how you can improve the client communication. In my opinion, people skills rank higher than just developing good communication !

As many have told there is no pill to swallow to a become good communicator. It is just like developing expertise in computer skills. You have to work at it. The best way I know is associating more with people like your client in conferences, road shows, etc. It takes money, time and efforts from your part. Movies, talk shows and radio will also help. You have to develop friends similar to your client and start spending time with them.

Focus on the context and then the content of the communication, take the pressure off yourself and try to be natural in the meeting instead of forcing yourself to understand everything.

For the bug in the program, if you can stay late at work and solve the problem, you can be become better in effective communications ! It requires the same mind set ! The important question is do you just want to satisfy your boss now or learn how to understand and be an effective solution provider for your clients in the long run ?

Best Wishes !

--Muthu

• Sorry I have to disagree with you. Communication is a big part of software development. If you misunderstand what your client wants, even you spend 80 hours a week working that will not make anyone happy, including your boss.

The part is not to focus on the accent. The main part of the communication is the content. You need to understand what your client wants. Also communication is not just talking on the phone, you can use email, writing down the specification may be a good thing so both parties know exactly what is going on.

• I agree with you. Communication is a major part of s/w development.

Sometimes people don't express their opinion openly to their boss due to respect for the position/authority. It might be a cultural thing or lack of people skills. I'm just encouraging to talk to the boss and ask for help instead of avoiding him/her !

• Hi Karthik,

Do you have this problem only with a particular person? If yes, talk to your team mates to see if they have similar problem with him. You can bring this issue to your manager and let him tell that person (client) politely.. (if you are not comfortable)

Similar case happened to me. I was working with a US client and used to intereact with many people. I was fine with everyone else except one. I simply couldnt understand anything that he said.. atleast 80% of them! I was not comfortable telling him, so discussed with my manager and he told that person politely. That worked (well, to an extent..) and he started speaking a bit slowly..

If your mates have no problem in understanding him, well.. take a soft-skill training on understanding US accent.. and watch a lot of movies.

🙂

Warm Regards,
    Neel aka Vijay.

• Heh... we don't have the accent 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply