Use of global table in SSIS package/bcp utility

• We have a process to send files to a customer through the bcp queryout process. Before we do that, we have in the SSIS package a SQL task to populate a global table with Personal IDs. The next step in the SSIS package is a bcp queryout process to bounce against a field in the table that is eventually a script to do a query that joins to the global temp table for the Personal IDs and that output is to go to a text file.

We have a table with 114 scripts that are written to the files. But, for some reason, it stops after 54 files.

Testing the SQL script with the global table being populated first and then the bcp output works.

I need to let my management know why the current process bombs out. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of uses of a global temp table?

Bottom line I have fixed the process by actually populating a real table and have the bcp reference that. To which it works. But I still need to know why.

Should I run a SQL trace when the job runs to see if anything there picks up? In the testing, I got no error messages.

Thanks

• A global temp table IS a real table. The only thing different about a table that starts with # or ## is that it will be dropped when the process that created it terminates. So I would look into that aspect.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• The temp table had 114 rows, why would it stop at 54?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply