Use of Rand() in a UDF(User-Defined function)

• We have a necessity to call the Rand() in a UDF.But as per SQL Server 2000, it refuses to allow the usage of RAND(), as it is non-deterministic.

Hence, we tried by using a stored procedure which has a call to the RAND() and return the subsequent random value.

This again fired back, as there is no provision to call a normal stored procedure from within a function(UDF). As SQL Server allows only functions and extended Strored Procedures to be used.

Is there a way out to get the right stuff.Kindly reply.

HTH

Ramanujam

• I don't believe there is a way. If you figure out how to call an extended stored procedure so you can get its results then I have an xp I wrote for random numbers which I can provide but in BOL it looks like you cannot return the data directly back thru the xp.

quote:

The extended stored procedure, when called from inside a function, cannot return result sets to the client. Any ODS APIs that return result sets to the client will return FAIL. The extended stored procedure could connect back to Microsoft® SQL Server™; however, it should not attempt to join the same transaction as the function that invoked the extended stored procedure.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply