Use your own optimizer to tune your queries

• Gullimeel (5/20/2012)

I have added some 4 points at the start of the script and I hope it will be enough to make sure that when this can be used and when this can not be used.

I think that's a great improvement.

• Gullimeel (5/19/2012)

[highlight=""]

I know who these guys are (I am reading one of Grant's book) and they are in this area much longer than I am but thats not the point here.

Excellent point. Just because I wrote a book doesn't mean I have a clue. Thanks. I agree (100%, no sarcasm or joking intended here). Plus, I defer to people like Paul on the deep details anyway.

Please, question what I've said or suggested, any time. But, once you're arguing with lots of us... you might want to reevaluate.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Excellent point. Just because I wrote a book doesn't mean I have a clue. Thanks. I agree (100%, no sarcasm or joking intended here). Plus, I defer to people like Paul on the deep details anyway.

Please, question what I've said or suggested, any time. But, once you're arguing with lots of us... you might want to reevaluate.

I apologize if my sentense in anyway was wrong.I am not sure what you have make out of my statement. My meaning in simple word was that I know these guys. They have written books and I am reading query tuning distilled (by you). Paul and you know much more than me about SQL server.I am kind of on and off from sql server. I in no way was comparing myself to you or Paul or no way meant that i know better than you,paul or in fact lots of other people whom i even do not know.

All I wanted to say was that I was just putting my point in front of people.Nothing else. I am not arguing and do not want argue with any one on this website.

GulliMeel

Finding top n Worst Performing queries[/url]
    Improve the performance of Merge Join(special case)
    How to Post Performance Problem -Gail Shaw[/url]

• Gullimeel (5/21/2012)

Excellent point. Just because I wrote a book doesn't mean I have a clue. Thanks. I agree (100%, no sarcasm or joking intended here). Plus, I defer to people like Paul on the deep details anyway.

I apologize if my sentense in anyway was wrong.I am not sure what you have make out of my statement. My meaning in simple word was that I know these guys. They have written books and I am reading query tuning distilled (by you). Paul and you know much more than me about SQL server.I am kind of on and off from sql server. I in no way was comparing myself to you or Paul or no way meant that i know better than you,paul or in fact lots of other people whom i even do not know.

All I wanted to say was that I was just putting my point in front of people.Nothing else. I am not arguing and do not want argue with any one on this website.

And I tried to write that so carefully...

No, I didn't mean to imply that you had done something wrong. The opposite in fact. This has been a good discussion. I attempted to make two points, and clearly failed at both. First, you should question people. Validate what they say. Second, once you get to a situation where a lot of people don't agree with your assumptions or approach, you should reevalute it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks.I will keep in mind the second point you made.I usually follows what you mentioned in first point.

GulliMeel

Finding top n Worst Performing queries[/url]
    Improve the performance of Merge Join(special case)
    How to Post Performance Problem -Gail Shaw[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply