User account pre-installation rights

• Greetings,

I must be brain dead this morning. Anyone can point me out on the right place to find the pre-installation setups I need to perform for a domain user account that I want to use in a SQL Server 2005 installation?

Thank you

MBA

MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCITP, IBM DB2 Expert, I-Net+, CIW

Proud member of the NRA

-Anti-gun laws prevent law abiding citizens to buy guns and defend themselves against bad guys who do not care about the law and get their gun illegally.

- Democracy is 2 wolves and one sheep talking about their next dinner. Freedom is 2 wolves and one armed sheep with a .357 magnum talking about their next dinner.

• Do you mean the account SQL Server will be running under or the account which will be used to INSTALL SQL Server?

For the account that you will use to run SQL Server you only need a "normal" domain account as the install process or the Configuration Manager, when you change the service account after install, grants the account the rights it needs on the server. The only thing I am aware of that you may need to do is to give the account lock pages in memory rights.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Greetings,

I am talking aout the user domain account used to run the SQL Server services. Do I just need to create a domain user account with password and no more rights have to be created or given on the machine because SQL Server installation will take care of it?

When I will install SQL Server 2005, I will use an account with adm rights on the machine.

Thank you

MBA

Proud member of the NRA

-Anti-gun laws prevent law abiding citizens to buy guns and defend themselves against bad guys who do not care about the law and get their gun illegally.

- Democracy is 2 wolves and one sheep talking about their next dinner. Freedom is 2 wolves and one armed sheep with a .357 magnum talking about their next dinner.

• I am talking aout the user domain account used to run the SQL Server services. Do I just need to create a domain user account with password and no more rights have to be created or given on the machine because SQL Server installation will take care of it?

This is correct. Create a standard domain account and during the install specify it as the Service account and the install process will grant it all the rights it needs on the server.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Correct, use admin to install, create a "normal" user with no rights. I'd leave it at everyone in the AD group membership. Then the installation program will assign rights.

I'd recommend 2 accounts, one for SQL , one for Agent, they have different duties and rights. If these accounts don't need to transfer information off the server themselves, meaning read/write from any other computer, I'd restrict them to that machine or use a local account. The MSSQL Service probably is that way, Agent depends on your situation.

• Thank you very much for your help guys!

MBA

Proud member of the NRA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply