Userinterfaces, which ones?

• Hi there,

Every now & then I dabble in AS. Since I am not as yet involved in any project using AS I have no other experience than playing around, creating cubes,etc. The one thing I have not found is: how to deploy data to users? It is sugested here and there that users can use Ofiice tools like Excel and Access to view data, but I have not found out how to accomplish this. Should users install AS as well? I can't really imagine this.

Can someone point me to info on how to make data in cubes available to users?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• The easiest way is to connect via Excel (2000 or XP even better) and use the pivottable feature to connect to your cubes as external data sources.

Start Excel and click Data, then Pivottable, and go through the wizard.

• Tnx Jay, found this out also, easy to do. Next thing I'm looking at is Reporting Services as a reporting tool. Drawback: here I have to use MXD to make queries, can't use SQL. Or so documentation makes me believe.

Anyone can recommend a site or a book on connecting AS with RS?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• You're right, you need to know MDX. The Report Designer in VS.Net doesn't provide an interface for building MDX.

Some of the cube browser vendors (e.g. proClarity, Panorama) offer plug-ins to do this but obviously you need to part with your hard earned cash for that stuff.

There's no book that I know of. Yet.

Regards

Jamie

• Hans,

This may be useful to you as well.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnsql2k/html/olapasandrs.asp

Regards

Jamie Thomson

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply