users connected to a database

• This is version 2008R2

I was hoping to future proof code to list connections to a specific database by not using master..sysprocesses and instead joining sys.dm_exec_sessions and sys.dm_exec_requests. However sys.dm_exec_sessions does not contain the database_id, sys.dm_exec_requests does, but only gives me connections actually executing and I want all of them.

I note sys.dm_exec_sessions in 2012 has database_id added, does that mean I am forced to use sysprocesses to accomplish this until I am on SQL2012?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Or upgrade to 2014.

According to MS, that column was added with 2012, so all you can do is left joins to the sys.dm_exec_requests.

Although, you might take a look at Adam Machanic's sp_whoisactive to see if addressed this in some other fashion.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• thanks for the reply Grant.

Adams code is still referring to sysprocesses in the SQL2005 and 2008 compatible version so there still seems to be a need for it (although to be honest I have not worked out where and why adam is using it)

As the database the spid is connected to is only trapped in exec_requests as soon as I want to filter on database I am reduced to only getting currently executing sessions. I guess Microsoft are addressing this from SQL2012 up by introducing database_Id into exec_sessions as preparation to deprecating sysprocesses.

So I will stick with sysprocesses until such time as the app that will use this code is on 2012\14

I will sure miss sysprocesses, seems worth keeping to me.

• looking at sp_whoisactive I could of course just use it as it is to achieve what I want, but it would be overkill!

I am pretty sure Adam is joining back to sysprocesses to get info on sleeping spids, but thats a lot of code!

• yes he does join back to sysprocesses

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• cheers, I have a plan of action now and we know where we stand with current DMVs and those from 2012 onwards.

george

• Wanted to count the connections yesterday and came up with this:SELECT distinct

Cses.host_name AS HostName

FROM sys.dm_exec_connections Con

INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions Cses ON Con.session_id = Cses.session_id

INNER JOIN sys.sysprocesses SP ON Con.session_id = SP.spid

INNER JOIN sys.databases DB ON SP.dbid = DB.database_id

ORDER BY HostName

-- From this:

SELECT

Con.session_id

, DB.name AS DBName

, Cses.host_name AS HostName

, Cses.login_name AS LoginName

, Cses.program_name AS ProgramName

, Con.connect_time AS ConntectTime

, Con.last_read AS LastRead

, Con.last_write AS LastWrite

, SP.cmd AS Command

, (-- Query gets text as XML for the blocking query

SELECT [text] AS [text()]

FROM sys.dm_exec_sql_text(Con.most_recent_sql_handle)

FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE

) AS ProgramText

, Cses.cpu_time / 1000.0 AS CPUTime

, SP.physical_io AS DiskIO

FROM sys.dm_exec_connections Con

INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions Cses ON Con.session_id = Cses.session_id

INNER JOIN sys.sysprocesses SP ON Con.session_id = SP.spid

INNER JOIN sys.databases DB ON SP.dbid = DB.database_id

ORDER BY LoginName

• thanks djj, but all the values I require (including hostname) are in sysprocesses so thats all I need for now on pre 2012 systems.

• Was not sure if it would help as it was not exactly what you wanted but thought it might spark an idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply