Users with DBO still cannot see Linked Servers

• I have several users that have DBO permissions to a DB on our DEV instance. They say they cannot see the two Linked Servers that are set up. Is this a permission I am missing? Thank you in advance!!

Charlie

• Permissions on linked servers are assigned to logins, not to database users. "dbo" is not a login.

Check the security settings of the linked servers: all the authorized logins should be mapped to a remote login or, alternatively, you could let everyone authenticate to the remote server using either fixed credentials or their current credentials ("current security settings").

The following picture should clarify it all:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• SS Carpal Tunnel,

Thank you for the reply. I actually had checked the security on the Linked Servers. It is set to use the context of a specific account for any logins not listed in the previous section (Step 1 of the diagram you mention). The account that is set in Step two can see the linked servers. I just created a new account\login with the exact same credentials as the users that say they cannot see the Linked Servers. This new account sees the Linked servers just fine. I think I need to get my users stronger glasses. Thank you again for the information and your time.

Charlie

• rummings (2/16/2012)

I think I need to get my users stronger glasses.

🙂 Thanks to you for the good laugh!

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply