Using 3 GB of RAM

• Sorry, it is advanced server.

Terry

• Terry--

Okay, then. 

Did the SQL Server service login account have the Lock pages in memory privilege?

Did you set awe enabled to 1 in the SQL Server configuration?

Are you using multiple instances?

Did you set the max server memory?  To what value?

--Jonathan

• Yes, the account could lock pages in memory.

Awe was enabled.

Only one instance is running.

Max Server Memory to 4GB.

It appeared that the jobs running would start locking the remaining 2GB meant for the OS, and not neccessarily release it when complete. Again, until we get the 2nd server in, I can't do much more as far as testing goes. I was curious if you've ever seen syptoms like we had.

Terry

• Terry-

Those symptoms sound consistent with enabling AWE but not having the /pae parameter correctly entered in the boot.ini file. 

--Jonathan

• Agreed. Once AWE is set, SQL Server shouldn't release the memory that it allocated. Did you also set the working set size option to 1? That option will definitely force SQL Server to not only allocate the max server memory, but mark it as nonpagable.

• What is working set size? I cannot find a reference to it on Microsoft's website or BOL.

Terry

• Disregard my last reply. I found what I was looking for on Microsoft (I should've paged down!)

Terry

• You might want to try just setting /PAE in the boot.ini file and not adding the /3GB switch. If you AWE enable SQL Server, it will use up the maximum amount of RAM on the server, unless you specify a max size as the other posters in this forum have noted. AWE is much more efficient at dealing with the 32-bit 2GB process memory barrier than using the /3GB boot switch. If you have other applications on the server that may not need access to up to 3GB of RAM, maybe you can just leave them to 2GB of Virtual RAM and let the kernel have access to its 2GB of Virtual RAM process space, and let AWE handle mapping the upper 2GB or 3GB of physical RAM for SQL Server. Just my thoughts ....

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply