Using a client alias on Vista 64 bit

• I am trying to get my new Vista 64 bit laptop setup and cen not seem to get SSMS to connect when I use a client alias. I set the alias up in SQL Server Configuration Manager as I always have. When I try to register the server in SSMS it can not connect using the alias. If I instead use the IP of the remote server it connects fine. I use this functionality all the time on my XP laptop so am quite familiar with the method. Just can't seem to get it to work on Vista.

Any ideas?

Tim

• Your NEW laptop may not have domain things set up, like DNS server in the TCP/IP properties, domain suffixes etc so name resolution does not work. Did you try to map a network drive from this computer to another one using names?

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• No, DNS and everything else is fine. It is only SSMS recognizing a SQL client alias set up in SQL configuration manager that is not working. The alias is pointing to an IP address.

Tim

• Got it working. I have Vista 64 bit and am running SQL 64 bit. In the configuration manager there is at the bottom of the list as always there is SQL Native Client Configuration where I set the alias as always. It did not work. What I noticed last night is that there is another entry further up the list that is labeled  SQL Native Client Configuration (32bit). When I made the entries in that section the client alias began to work perfectly as always.

Tim

• Hi Tim,

Nice to know!

What is well, not obvious (to say the least) where you find your aliases:

1. On Windows 32 bit you will find your aliases under Client Network Utility Start - > Run -> Cliconfg. This utilty normally reside in Windows\System32 folder.

2. On Windows 64 bit I created 2 aliases after reading your solution: one for SQL Native Client and one for SQL Native Client 32 bit. Guess what?

- I can see the entry I created in  SQL Native Client (means 64 bit) in the cliconfg that I start from C:\Windows\System32 . Well, this system32 folder means files for 64 reside there.

- The second entry that I created was in SQL Native Client 32 bit. I found it what I start cliconfg utility in C:\Windows\WOW64 folder. What could I say, WOW is WOW 🙂

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply