Using a select statement in an INSERT statement

• CREATE Procedure InsertProc

Variable declarations here

then

AS

INSERT INTO tblProject(ProjectName,Description,RequestedBy,ApprovedBy,DateApproved,AssignedTo,DueDate,Scope,Priority,Status,Department,ClientArea,usrName,User_Key)

VALUES

(

@ProjectName, @Description , @RequestedBy , @ApprovedBy ,@DateApproved,@AssignedTo ,@DueDate , @Scope , @Priority, @Status ,@Department,@ClientArea , @usrName,select user_key from tblUsers where userID = usrName

)

Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Procedure InsertNewProject, Line 35

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'select'.

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Procedure InsertNewProject, Line 37

Incorrect syntax near ')'.

• If you need to use that way I'd suggest you do it one of two ways...

INSERT INTO tblProject

SELECT

@ProjectName, @Description , @RequestedBy , @ApprovedBy ,@DateApproved,@AssignedTo ,@DueDate , @Scope , @Priority, @Status ,@Department,@ClientArea , @usrName,

user_key

from tblUsers

where userID = usrName

Or you could assign User_Key to another variable and use that in your values clause...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hi,

Becuase I'm not passing the value of user_key to the stored procedure, I'm getting this error message:

Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition.

• Franco_1 (3/13/2009)

Hi,

Becuase I'm not passing the value of user_key to the stored procedure, I'm getting this error message:

Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition.

Yes, for the alternate method I'm not saying put it in a variable passed in as a parameter, I was suggesting that you could query for that value, assigning it to a newly declared variable inside your Procedure...

OR

The query I gave you should work based on the information supplied. If there are other columns in that table not included in the set you are updating, you need to use a the column list as you did in your original post.

INSERT INTO

tblProject(ProjectName,Description,RequestedBy,ApprovedBy,DateApproved,AssignedTo,DueDate,Scope,Priority,Status,Department,ClientArea,usrName,User_Key)

SELECT

@ProjectName,

@Description,

@RequestedBy,

@ApprovedBy,

@DateApproved,

@AssignedTo,

@DueDate,

@Scope,

@Priority,

@Status,

@Department,

@ClientArea,

@usrName,

user_key

from tblUsers

where tblUsers.userID = @usrName

Have a go with that and let me know how you make out.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thank you Luke.

It worked just the way I want it.

Thank U, Thank U.

Have a wonderful weekend.

• Glad it worked, have a good one.

-Luke.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply