Using built-in sql backup vs third party backup ex) Backup exec

• Disk storage pool which automatically get's pushed to tape using Backup Exec. Best of both worlds.

However, whatever solution gives you the most reliable backups is what you should use. Backup Exec gives the ability to write the backup to local disk as well as to the storage pool. So I have a local copy on disk. A remote copy on disk, and a copy written to tape. I also have 2 other systems that use the copies to disk that are running a home grown log shipping process.

• I wrote an automated checkdb, backup, updateusage, defrag, reindex, update stats system back in the 6.5 days that handles all of the busy work.

Thirty servers is a handful and I am not fond of DB Maintenance Plans. I tried them way back when and they scared me into writing the system mentioned.

I'm rewriting it for 2005/2008 and will likely post the code for the masses.

• I'm using Veritas NetBackup too.

How to know that backup are reliable ?

Do you set up tests of automatic restore of severals databases to check them ?

• The only way to truly know that a backup of a database is 'reliable' is to schedule test restores of databases on a regular basis of different databases on different servers.

As with any software of software system there are many things that can go wrong. Bad scheduling, bad tapes, bad disks just to name a few. Do not let the 'bads' get you down because they really do not happen that often. But beware, when they do happen it is usually at the very worst time possible. So a good backup and recovery plan is a must !

Always remember that as a DBA you are only as good as your last restore !!!

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• when you create your SQL backup scripts in Veritas, in the original GUI where you choose the databases you can choose to do a page verify. you have to set torn page detection on the database as well for this to work.

we are also starting to migrate to Evault Infostage now. Our main databases are now being backed up to Evault and we are testing things like restores. One good thing about it is that we can set a vault in our backup site and replicate all our backups there so in case of a real disaster we can restore from another source

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply