Using Bulk Insert task for loading data into SQL sever

• Can anyone pls tell me how to use a RAW file source with Bulk Insert task and load data into SQL server table..I tried to do it, but got the following error:

[Bulk Insert Task] Error: An error occurred with the following error message: "Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "BULK" for linked server "(null)".The OLE DB provider "BULK" for linked server "(null)" reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error.The bulk load failed. The column is too long in the data file for row 1, column 23. Verify that the field terminator and row terminator are specified correctly.Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 1, column 1 (ProductKey).".

I have kept the default settings for this task..e.g. Format=Specify, RowDelimiter={CR}{LF},ColumnDelimiter=TAB

I also made sure that the destination table's structure is same as of the structure of table feeding RAW file..so there is no column size mis-match or anything..

but still the task is failing..can someone tell me why?

FYI..I am running this task on local machine..and both source and dest are on local machine only..

• Is column23 the last column in the source? there is a fair possibility the row terminator is causing trouble. is it possible for you provide a sample of the source file you r trying to import?

[font="Times New Roman"]For better assistance in answering your questions
    Click Here[/url][/font]

• its the AdventureWorksDW..FactInternetSales table with 60000 records..

I just learned from someone that BULK insert cannot be used to dump data from Raw file to SQL tables..is it really like that? 🙁

• Yes... I believe you cannot use a RAW file[RAW file as in, something created by RAW File Destination and not a text file] in a bulk insert task. The RAW file which is created by the RAW file destination does have the same property of a usual text file.

You can try importing the same using a Dataflow task...

[font="Times New Roman"]For better assistance in answering your questions
    Click Here[/url][/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply