Using date in order by

• SQLGuru,

Clustered index: order_id (assume int - 4 bytes), order_date (assume datetime - 8 bytes), uniquefier (since it is non-unique - 4 bytes). So 16 bytes for CI

non-clustered PK index: order_id (4 bytes), clustered index pointer (16 bytes)

Can you explain it more details ?

karthik

• When you create a non-clustered index the Clustered Index Key is added to the non-clustered index. That is what the CI pointer is. A pointer to the row in clustered index which is added to the non-clustered index.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• karthikeyan (8/13/2008)

SQLGuru,

Clustered index: order_id (assume int - 4 bytes), order_date (assume datetime - 8 bytes), uniquefier (since it is non-unique - 4 bytes). So 16 bytes for CI

I am not sure that I can. Perhaps you need to read BOL on the fundamentals of indexing.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• karthikeyan (8/13/2008)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SQLGuru,

I am not sure that I can. Perhaps you need to read BOL on the fundamentals of indexing.

I think i have phrased my question wrongly, Actually i know about Clsutered and Non Clustered index, i just wanted to know the below part.

uniquefier (since it is non-unique - 4 bytes). So 16 bytes for CI

Kindly explain it.

karthik

• [quote-0I think i have phrased my question wrongly, Actually i know about Clsutered and Non Clustered index, i just wanted to know the below part.

uniquefier (since it is non-unique - 4 bytes). So 16 bytes for CI

Kindly explain it.

[/quote-0]

Kindly do as I suggested and see BOL for information about indexes in SQL Server: ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/c498fe0c-a0ff-4677-a419-31f0e7875b61.htm

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply