Using DTA - How safe is the usage of Shell database.

• Hi all,

I have a requirement to create Clustered Indexes on few tables on a Production server.

Before I do it on production database, I have to go through the same databses in DEV/TEST. But the hardware configuration and hit on DEV/TEST databases are different. So I'm planning to use DTA in SQL Server 2005 to create a shell database on DEV/TEST servers.

I know that with the help of DTA, the information from production database (METADATA, STATISTICS, HARWARE Config. etc..) can copied to the shell database in DEV/TEST. Also there will be some load on production databse while creating the metadata, statistics etc in shell database.

What I want to know is that after getting required information (METADATA, STATISTICS, HARWARE Config. etc..) from the production database to shell, while doing analysis on DEV/TEST server, is it still necessary to have the production database connected to DTA (or is it still connected to DTA).

While doing analysis and creating clustered index on shell database on DEV/TEST, is there any change happening (minor or temporary change) on production database. I dont want to risk the production.

When I'm testing on DEV/TEST, I would like to have no load/changes on production. Is it possible?

John

• No, there should be no connection to the production system while you are testing the dev system.

Be very cautious about applying the DTA recommendations. It's notorious for picking poor indexes.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply