Using EVENTDATA()

• Hello Everyone

I have created a DDL Trigger that will notify me when a user may be created in any of the databases. I am storing everything in a table. Here is the table that I am using to log everything

2008-08-04 14:08:53.543 sa CREATE_LOGIN NULL

2008-08-04 14:11:22.373 sa DROP_LOGIN DROP Login RLaszlo

2008-08-04 14:13:00.547 sa CREATE_LOGIN NULL

2008-08-04 14:16:27.797 sa DROP_LOGIN DROP Login RLaszlo

2008-08-04 14:19:20.717 sa CREATE_LOGIN NULL

2008-08-04 14:19:40.110 sa DROP_LOGIN DROP Login RLaszlo

I need to know the command that created a login. As you can see, they are NULL

Here is the syntax that I am using to capture the SQL command from the EVENTDATA()

EventData.value('(/EVENT_INSTANCE/TSQLCommand/CommandText)[1]', 'nvarchar(2000)')

Can anyone see anything incorrect? Same code works for the DROP Login, but will not supply the Create Login syntax

Thanks

Andrew SQLDBA

• Suggestion: Temporarily add an XML column to your table and store the entire EVENTDATA in there.

Then you can query the actual EVENTDATA interactively, until you figure out what is wrong with your XML query.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Good Idea

I will try that, at least I may be able to see what is in the XML string

Thanks

Andrew SQLDBA

• Well, here is the problem, there is not a SQL Command in the Create Login, only on the Drop Login

Create Login

DROP Login

That is a real bummer. How are we supposed to tell what login was just created?

Andrew SQLDBA

• The editor ate your XML Andrew. Attach them as files instead of inserting their contents.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply