Using left and charindex to parse string , getting rid of rest of data

• I'm confused, as I am trying to erase some erroneous bad data in my table. The description column has a lot of </div>oqwiroiweuru</a> weird data attached to it, i want to keep the data to the left of where the </div> erroneous data begins

update MyTable

set Description = LEFT(Description(CHARINDEX('<',Description)-1)) where myid = 1

that totally works.

update MyTable

set Description = LEFT(Description(CHARINDEX('<',Description)-1)) where myid >= 2

gives me a Invalid length parameter passed to the LEFT or SUBSTRING function. The statement has been terminated error

??

arch

• there's no guarantee that EVERY row contains the search term, so you need to include that check in your WHERE.

update MyTable

set Description = LEFT(Description(CHARINDEX('<',Description)-1))

where CHARINDEX('<',Description) > 0

AND myid >= 2

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks, that rocks :-D:-D

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply