Using slowly changing dimension to load staging table

• Can a slowly changing dimension be used to insert/update records into a staging table? I haven't used that transformation before and from what I read it was more used to load dimension tables. Thanks.

• rs80 (2/8/2013)

Can a slowly changing dimension be used to insert/update records into a staging table? I haven't used that transformation before and from what I read it was more used to load dimension tables.

You are correct, a Slowly Changing Dimension is a particular kind of DIMension table where depending on the SCD type history of each particular dimention is kept (or not).

A Staging table, on the other hand, is by definition a table that gets truncated and re-populated on each ETL cycle therefore SCD does not applies to them.

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thanks Paul

• PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (2/8/2013)

rs80 (2/8/2013)

Can a slowly changing dimension be used to insert/update records into a staging table? I haven't used that transformation before and from what I read it was more used to load dimension tables.

You are correct, a Slowly Changing Dimension is a particular kind of DIMension table where depending on the SCD type history of each particular dimention is kept (or not).

A Staging table, on the other hand, is by definition a table that gets truncated and re-populated on each ETL cycle therefore SCD does not applies to them.

Hope this helps.

I do not entirely agree with this definition.

I see no reason why staging tables cannot be updated, rather than truncated/repopulated, as data makes its way elsewhere - whatever is most efficient in the circumstances.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply