Using winrar to extract zipped files through the command line

• I have an SSIS package that is going to be extracting zipped files, so my question is does anyone know how to extract a zipped file with winrar using the command line? I am able to do this with rar files, but when I when I try to do it with zipped files I get a message that the file is not a winrar archived file. I tried using winzip but I have the trial version so everytime the command gets executed in SSIS the registration screen pops up and now I have to manually enter the location of where I want to extract the data to.

• I haven't worked with WinRAR, but I've done quite a bit of work with WinZip to automate zipping and unzipping files with SSIS. With the latter, the command line functionality is actually contained in a different executable, so you may need to call a different .exe file than you would normally use for interactive zip and unzip operations. The documentation for WinRAR should be helpful to find out exactly how to do this.

hth,

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• try using 7-zip, they have a cmd line version 7za.exe that comes with the download, which is free to distribute (no $ amt for it). It works great, I use it from my SSIS packages all the time.

• Just use execute process task. Open Process, then in executable make path to winrar.exe.

In arguments make path to zip file. (for ex. -e c:\temp\file_name.zip).

In working directory make c:\temp

Or, you can user unrar.exe and batch file.

• I went with 7-zip because I couldn't get find the command line executable for winzip so the evaluation screen wont pop up (I tried all .exe files in the winzip folder) and winrar like I mentioned in my post wouldn't extract the files because its not a winrar archive. I would like to give everyone my gratitude for their help.

• so far i have found this thread extremely informative. i will look at 7z as i have recently downloaded 7za.exe to use with my script ftp software. i will post up the results once i have tested a few things. thanks again for the info

• [font="Comic Sans MS"]

Yes - using 7zip is very much convenient it's not only free and saves $$ - it supports large number of archive extensions and have some cool compression methodologies to create a super-compressed file...

[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]--
    Sabya[/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply