using ' within a Unicode sting

• Sure this is a simple, and probably stupid question but I need help with the following;

I run the following to show all jobs

use msdb

go

sp_help_job

This returns all jobs. one of the jobs includes single quotes. For example;

Daily 'full' backup

I then want to run;

use msdb

go

sp_help_job

@job_name = N'Daily 'full' backup',

@job_aspect = N'all'

However it failes due to the single quotes. If for example the job was called;

Daily full backup

The SQL executes correctly. I have managed to work around this by using @job_id instead of @job name but would like to understand why this didn't work, is there a reason or way to using single quotes.

• As far as I know no not using single quotes - you need to use double quotes.

use msdb

go

sp_help_job

@job_name = N'Daily ''full'' backup',

@job_aspect = N'all'

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• Thanks, I thought I tried that, but obviously had a typing error somewhere. Just tried again and that worked. Told you it was a stupid question.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

• Not a stupid question at all! 🙂

Your welcome

Andy

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply