Variable in Nested Query

• Is there a way to pass a value from a select into a nested query? 

Something like this:

SELECT ID, Name, (SELECT total from OtherTable WHERE FirstTableID=the ID in the first part of the SELECT]) AS OTotal FROM FirstTable;

N Dunn

• I'm a litte confused.  In your sub-query, you have FirstTableID = ID in the first part of the SELECT.  Well the ID in the first part of the SELECT is FirstTableID, so what you are saying is FirstTableID = FirstTableID. 

With that said, the rest of my post is just a guess on what you meant to say.  I assume that what you want is to SELECT ID and name from FirstTable and Total (as OTotal) from OtherTable where the FirstTable ID is equal to the OtherTable ID. 

Look up JOINs in BOL.  Instead of using a sub-query, you should be using a JOIN.  Look at this example:

SELECT FT.ID,

FT.Name,

OT.Total as OTotal

FROM FirstTable FT

INNER JOIN OtherTable OT

ON FT.ID = OT.ID

Now, I used an INNER JOIN here, but if you want all FirstTable rows regardless of whether there is a OtherTable match, use an OUTER JOIN. 

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• You probably should give more information.  An INNER JOIN will work, unless you want some aggregate or something along those lines in which a one to many situation exists:

SELECT [ID], [Name], MaxValue.Zip

FROM FirstTable

INNER JOIN( SELECT [ID], MAX( Zip) AS Zip FROM OtherTable) MaxValue ON( FirstTable[ID] = MaxValue.[ID])

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Try this:

SELECT ID, Name, (SELECT total from OtherTable WHERE OtherTable.FirstTableID=FirstTable.ID) AS OTotal FROM FirstTable;

That should work as long as the sub-query only returns one record. You'll need to do a sum or top or something if it might return more than one.

• It's generally reomended that sub queries go in the from clause, not in the select. Sub queries in the select get evaluated for every row of the result set and can be the cause of very slow queries.

Farrell's and John's solutions are more efficient and do the same thing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply