VB - Multiple Inserts - SQL Server 2000

• Is there anyone who has made any research into the subject of multiple inserts in terms of preformance?

Say you have from 1 to 50000 records that needs to be inserted (with data that potentially could violate constraints) into SQL 2000 and you want the smallest possible impact (IO and CPU). Which one of the innumerable ways would be preferred?

Thanks in advance for suggestion on this issue...

Regards, Hanslindgren.

• This link should be a great headstart:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnetarch13.asp

Also check out the white paper on transaction control performance comparison in the same area...

HTH,

Jay

• Thank you!

Unfortunatly that is not really what I needed :/

I probably expressed myself abit vauge. I meant more in the way of some of these:

* Streaming XML inserts

* Inserting to a nonclustered #tbl (or table variable) then doing one INSERT INTO (...)SELECT ...

* BulkInserting/BulkCopying (considering the limited roles permitted to use this)

* INSERT INTO (...)

SELECT ...

UNION

SELECT ...

UNION

SELECT ... (Buffer selects with a union if it has performance differences from Single INSERT INTO (...) VALUES)

* Or the most straightforward way: INSERT INTO (...) VALUES

I believe there are many insert possibilites that I have not covered here and I would like to know them all (and formost the most efficient on large volume inserts)

Regards, Hanslindgren.

P.S My company is at the present not using .NET :/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply