VB.NET - Insert Multiple Records Without Stored Procedure

• Hi All,

I found the SQL code below that allows me to add multiple records with one statement (in this case the 7 days of the week into a table). What I need to figure out is how to do this in vb.net with an OleDbCommand. I really don't want to loop through 7 insert statements if I don't have to do it that way. I also cannot use a stored procedure because the application will not have access to it. These records will be inserted into an empty access table. Does anybody know how I can accomplish this without looping the inserts for each record?

Thanks!

SQL CODE:

INSERT INTO Week (DayID, DayOfWeek)

SELECT 1, 'Saturday' UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 'Sunday' UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 'Monday' UNION ALL

SELECT 4, 'Tuesday' UNION ALL

SELECT 5, 'Wednesday' UNION ALL

SELECT 6, 'Thursday' UNION ALL

SELECT 7, 'Friday'

VB CODE (causes error):

strSQL = "INSERT INTO Week (DayID, DayOfWeek) SELECT 1, 'Saturday' UNION ALL SELECT 2, 'Sunday' UNION ALL SELECT 3, 'Monday' UNION ALL SELECT 4, 'Tuesday' UNION ALL SELECT 5, 'Wednesday' UNION ALL SELECT 6, 'Thursday' UNION ALL SELECT 7, 'Friday'"

objConn.Open()

Dim objCmd As New OleDbCommand(strSQL, objConn)

objCmd.ExecuteNonQuery()

objConn.Close()

• What error do you get?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• There error is:

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression "Saturday' UNION ALL SELECT 2'.

I did some more reseach and found some posts that said Access does not support multiple records being inserted with one statement while SQL Server does.

For now, I have written the inerts in a loop like this to make it easier:

MDBInsert("DayID", "6", "DayOfWeek", "Thursday", strTable, objConn)

MDBInsert("DayID", "7", "DayOfWeek", "Friday", strTable, objConn)

etc...

Public Sub MDBInsert(ByVal strFieldAName As String, ByVal strFieldA As String, ByVal strFieldBName As String, ByVal strFieldB As String, ByVal strTable As String, ByVal objConn As OleDbConnection)

Try

strSQL = "INSERT INTO [" & strTable & "] (" & strFieldAName & ", " & strFieldBName & ") VALUES (" & CInt(strFieldA) & ", '" & strFieldB & "')"

objConn.Open()

Dim objCmd As New OleDbCommand(strSQL, objConn)

objCmd.ExecuteNonQuery()

objConn.Close()

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "The import into the database failed!")

Finally

If objConn.State <> ConnectionState.Closed Then

objConn.Close()

End If

End Try

End Sub

This works for now and is flexible. Thanks for your help.

• Umm... why would you even need this in an Access table? Wouldn't one of VB's weekday functions suffice, or even the ones in Access? I remember there being a parameter that allowed you to specify which weekday was to be day 1 of a given week, where for the specification of this parameter, Sunday was 1 and Saturday was 7.

Steve

(aka smunson)

:):):)

• That's a good thought smunson, but for now I know that the table is referenced in several queries so I want to make it available.

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply