Verify this please

• This is a follow up to the other thread I started. I finally figured everything out but need some validation before I hit go.

I want to update fields in one table using data on another server.  What I want to avoid is the same mistake I made last time and only update records that have identical nc_incident_materials_id

I ran it against one record by using the hex data in place of nc_incident_materials_id in the WHERE clauses. Like this.

UPDATE nc_incident_materials

SET nc_materials_id = (SELECT offline.nc_materials_id

FROM dev.test_ed.dbo.nc_incident_materials AS offline

WHERE offline.nc_incident_materials_id = 0x0000000000049FB8)

WHERE nc_incident_materials_id = 0x0000000000049FB8

And this is the actual query I think I need to run

UPDATE nc_incident_materials

WHERE offline.nc_incident_materials_id = nc_incident_materials_id)

WHERE nc_incident_materials_id = offline.nc_incident_materials_id

• Tough crowd in here...  

I was thinking.  Could I have trouble accessing the 'offline' alias outside the brackets?  How about this?

WHERE nc_incident_materials_id = (SELECT offline.nc_incident_materials_id

• Actually, I would use a query similar to this:

UPDATE online

SET [columnA] = offline.[columnA]

, [columnB] = offline.[columnB]

FROM nc_incident_materials AS online

JOIN dev.test_ed.dbo.nc_incident_materials AS offline

ON online.nc_incident_materials_id = offline.nc_incident_materials_id

However, your query as written doesn't do anything effective. You are updating the same value you are joining on. The values already match in that case, so there is no reason to update the nc_incident_materials_id column. Now, you can update other columns between the matching online and offline rows. In my example, these are [columnA] and [columnB].

• As written you should get an error message, because your closing WHERE has an ambiguous reference?  The interior select appears to be using only one table and is idempotent.  If that's NOT how it gets interpreted, then you have an ambiguous reference.  Or is your 'unqualified' reference to nc_incident_materials_id a place holder for a hard coded value or a variable?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply