Vertical Blocks of Code

• This is one of the handiest editing features.  I'm surprised by how many people don't know about it.  When I tell people about it, they all think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.

• Ed Wagner - Friday, February 17, 2017 6:47 AM

This is one of the handiest editing features.  I'm surprised by how many people don't know about it.  When I tell people about it, they all think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Both Alt+Mouse and Alt+Shift on keyboard also work in Visual Studio. Which isn't at all surprising. Just sayin'...

• What's also cool with this feature is that you can type on all lines at once. :w00t:

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck - Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:48 AM

What's also cool with this feature is that you can type on all lines at once. :w00t:

Discovered that by accident one day. Had deleted a block, and it still has a selection many rows high by zero columns wide, and hit a key, and every single row got that character. Also makes for fun when you delete a block, and then press [F5] thinking you're running the new query, but it does nothing, because you're actually running the selected text, which is the zero wide block.

• Koen Verbeeck - Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:48 AM

What's also cool with this feature is that you can type on all lines at once. :w00t:

Ding ding ding. That is my most frequent use of this shortcut.

That said, I have always just done shift-alt. Learned a bit today with it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Never even tried it until today.  And one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse isn't an issue.

Doing things in a columnar fashion is one of the reasons I love UltraEdit.  Makes entering the same thing on multiple consecutive lines so much easier.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply