Very large execution plan

• I have a fun little problem.

Someone sent me a 3.8MB execution plan (generated from Profiler). When I try to open that in Management Studio, SSMS churns away for 10 min or so then throws a .net exception - Could not create window handle (or something similar). This is even after a reboot.

Other than opening the plan in an xml editor and working with the raw XML form of the plan, any suggestions on viewing the thing?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Is if for one statement ? or a batch ?

I think you should be able to manually remove out some of the StmtSimple blocks and you should still be able to to view in in SSMS as a sqlpan

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• GilaMonster (10/22/2009)

I have a fun little problem.

I thought you only posted answers !!:-)

Is it a graphical plan ? Could you get the execution plan in text instead ?

• It's for a batch of statements. It's the graphical plan (a .sqlplan file) and I can't get the text plan.

So open in xml editor and 'edit' into several plan files?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I'd use notepad to be honest

Then within the <Statements> element comment out using '<!--' and '-->' half of the child nodes.

Save that to a new file.

Do the same with the remaining half...

If it is due to size then hopefully then SSMS will be able to display the plans.

Obviously there may be a bug in SSMS caused by a particular statement, so keep commenting the file till you find the offender.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Just given this a go...

Commenting doesn't seem to work :crazy:

But deleting multiple batch elements from the BatchSequence element and then saving the file as a .sqlplan and loading in SSMS works fine

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (10/23/2009)

If it is due to size then hopefully then SSMS will be able to display the plans.

Obviously there may be a bug in SSMS caused by a particular statement, so keep commenting the file till you find the offender.

I think it's more size or the sheer number of plans than a problem with a particular one.

Gail Shaw

• Turns out there are around 1500 batches in that plan. 🙁 No wonder SSMS isn't happy. I think I'm just going to end up reading the plan in raw XML until I can find the 5 or so worst batches then haul just those back over to SSMS for analysis.

Gail Shaw

• Or get a statement trace of the same batch executing. Should give you a better idea of which statements to look for....

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (10/23/2009)

Or get a statement trace of the same batch executing. Should give you a better idea of which statements to look for....

I can't get anything else, statement trace or text exec plan (client's away) until after I get back from PASS and report is due the week of PASS.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (10/23/2009)

Dave Ballantyne (10/23/2009)

Or get a statement trace of the same batch executing. Should give you a better idea of which statements to look for....

I can't get anything else, statement trace or text exec plan (client's away) until after I get back from PASS and report is due the week of PASS.

Good luck with wading through that then...

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply