View in 2005 says cell is read only

• A workaround for those curious, simply create a view of your statement as suggested by MSDN, like so:

CREATE VIEW GetAroundSQL2005AnnoyingReadOnlyFeature

AS

SELECT Player.FirstName, Player.LastName, Team.Name

FROM Player INNER JOIN

PlayerTeam ON Player.Id = PlayerTeam.PlayerId INNER JOIN

Team ON PlayerTeam.TeamId = Team.Id

WHERE Player.LastName = 'Graham' AND Team.Name LIKE 'X%'

Then open your view and edit away! The next time you need to do the same, use ALTER VIEW. There are several limits on the kind of views that are still editable.

MSDN Article titled 'Modifying Data Through a View':

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180800.aspx

Bug report for this feature:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=148844&wa=wsignin1.0

Another workaround using a subquery:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/Workaround.aspx?FeedbackID=148844

• I just did this as a test:

create table UpdT1 (

ID int identity primary key,

Col1 varchar(100))

go

create table UpdT2 (

ID int identity primary key,

Col1 varchar(100))

go

insert into dbo.updt1 (col1)

select 'x'

from dbo.numbers

insert into dbo.updt2 (col1)

select 'y'

from dbo.numbers

go

create view UpdTest

as

select t1.id as t1id, t2.id as t2id, t1.col1 as T1Col1, t2.col1 as T2Col1

from dbo.updt1 t1

inner join dbo.updt2 t2

on t1.id = t2.id

When I right-clicked the view and opened it, then directly edited the data, it worked just fine. Edited with no problem.

I'm not consciously using any sort of "work-around". That's just a standard view.

Try that test, see if it works the way you want it to. If not, check to see whether you have a missing update on Management Studio (I'm using 9.00.3042.00). If so, then it's something about the view you're writing or the column you're updating.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Danster (4/30/2007)

As one of my first forays, I thought I'd whip up a typical view. No

problems, but when I execute, the results pane say 'cell is read only'.

I'm used to directly editing within the results pane in Enterprise Manager

(yeah, I know...I'm careful) but in SSMS the view doesn't allow me to edit

data.

Now I'm confused. How was the work around you posted different that what you were trying to do in the first place?

• Danster (7/24/2008)

There's nothing "at play".

I just like editing data directly in a multi-table view. It is fast, easy, safe (if you're careful) and convenient.

Usually it is to quickly make changes to source data which then will be viewable in the app which uses that database.

It was oh so easy in 2000 Enterprise Manager & 2005 views have just screwed up that ease.

How about actually posting the DDL for a view you cannot edit, along with the DDL for the underlying tables used by the view?

I just tried it myself, and had no trouble editing either the SERVER_NAME or DATABASE_NAME columns from view V_SERVER_DATABASE created with the following code.

IF OBJECT_ID('[dbo].[V_SERVER_DATABASE]','V') IS NOT NULL

DROP VIEW [dbo].[V_SERVER_DATABASE]

GO

IF OBJECT_ID('[dbo].[T_DATABASE]','U') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE [dbo].[T_DATABASE]

GO

IF OBJECT_ID('[dbo].[T_SERVER]','U') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE [dbo].[T_SERVER]

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[T_SERVER](

[SERVER_ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[SERVER_NAME] [sysname] NOT NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

([SERVER_ID] ASC))

go

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[T_DATABASE](

[DATABASE_ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[DATABASE_NAME] [sysname] NOT NULL,

[SERVER_ID] [int] NOT NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

([DATABASE_ID] ASC))

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[T_DATABASE] WITH CHECK

ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_T_DATABASE_T_SERVER]

FOREIGN KEY([SERVER_ID])

REFERENCES [dbo].[T_SERVER] ([SERVER_ID])

GO

create view [dbo].[V_SERVER_DATABASE]

as

select

a.SERVER_ID,

a.SERVER_NAME,

b.DATABASE_ID,

b.DATABASE_NAME

from

[dbo].[T_SERVER] a

join

[dbo].[T_DATABASE] b

on a.SERVER_ID = b.SERVER_ID

GO

insert into T_SERVER (SERVER_NAME)

select 'SERVER_1' union all

select 'SERVER_2' union all

select 'SERVER_3'

order by 1

GO

insert into T_DATABASE (DATABASE_NAME, SERVER_ID)

select 'DATABASE_1' ,1 union all

select 'DATABASE_2' , 2 union all

select 'DATABASE_3' , 3

order by 1

GO

SELECT * FROM [dbo].[V_SERVER_DATABASE]

• Looks like the same limitation is still in SQL 2008.

My workaround for the cell read-only problem with multi-table queries was to keep using SQL 2000 for all development work. I recently installed Win 7, so decided to try SQL 2008 but it looks like the same limitation is still there. Sadly, only there seems to be some issues installing SQL 2000 on Win 7.

I guess I can set up an XP box to run SQL 2000, but it would be nice at some point if SQL 2005/2008 or some future year would be able to match the functionality of SQL 2000.

Looks like this thread has been going a few years now. Has anybody found a better solution than staying with SQL 2000?

• Dave,

Yes limitation is still there in 2008. And yes I have been frustrated all this time over the past few years. I am still finding that something that used to take me a few seconds now takes me about 2 or 3 minutes.

I don't know if anyone from Microsoft is listening...

We just want to edit a cell from a multi-table view. Is that so hard?

I keep a Virtual PC with XP Pro and SQL Server 2000 but that doesn't help nowadays when the database I need to edit actually lives on a 2005/2008 SQL Server.

• I'm still having a hard time understanding how this thread could possibly still be active...

The easiest solution is to type fast, such as:

UPDATE AFFECTED_TABLE

SET FIELD_NAME = value

WHERE PRIMARY_KEY_FIELD = primary_key_value

Honestly, it just doesn't take 2 to 3 minutes to do that, even including the time to copy and paste the primary key value for that table. If it reoccurs a lot for a given table, set up a stored procedure that updates that specific table using the primary key value, the field name, and the new value as parameters.

Getting used to doing such things is a GOOD IDEA, because it encourages more appropriate behaviors related to data integrity. Are we done now?

Steve

(aka sgmunson)

:-):-):-)

• I agree there is an intermittent need for this and have just updated to SQL 2005 and hit this gotcha.

My query was of the form

select stuff from table1 t1

inner join table2 t2 on t1.ref = t2.ref

where this and that and theOther

in order to allow editing I had to switch from a join so...

select stuff from table1 t1

where this and that and theOther

and ref in (select ref from table2 where doodly and clink)

hope that helps someone

• The important thing to remember is that being able to update a record requires that there be a unique record or set of records to update, such that there's no concievable ambiguity on which record to update. A recordset that delivers one record from one table, but multiple records from a joined table, doesn't provide that level of uniqueness if you're trying to update the table that's contributing multiple records. Thus when you try to update a view, you need to know if the view will be returning a sufficiently unique recordset. This should force folks to give their database design more thought in terms of exactly how you do EVERYTHING you might want or need to do to it, and to go through that kind of exercise for EVERY time you need something new that goes into that database.

Steve

(aka sgmunson)

:-):-):-)

• As the idiot who was rushing and didn't see the extra pages of replies I offer my apologies 🙂

In my instance there are c2000 records with forenames but no Title and Gender set... yes we've addressed the import issues but that doesn't clean the data. I reckon this way is quicker than building a neural net to recognise the gender of a name 😀

• Yes, and besides, there's just no way even a neural net can handle names like Terry, Chris, Pat (in this case, maybe even an adrogenous individual (SNL reference, LOL)), Jamie, Sam (often short for Samantha), Billy (could be Billy Jean), and numerous others....

Steve

(aka sgmunson)

;-);-);-)

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply