Viewing Partition tables data

• Hi,

I have created 2 partition tables and can view my partitions by executing this:-

SELECT * FROM sys.partitions AS p

JOIN sys.tables AS t

ON p.object_id = t.object_id

WHERE p.partition_id IS NOT NULL

AND t.name = 'TestTable1';

But how can I view the actual data that is held within each partition? So the actual records in each of my partitions?

For example if I wanted to edit a row in one of my partitioned tables using UPDATE statement or just view my data using SELECT statement how can I do this?

Also if I decided to add more data into an existing partition how would I do this?

Thanks.

• The easiest way to do this is to use a where clause based on your partition function. Say you used a date based function say on month you can use that in your query. select * from table where PartitionedDateColumn = 3 --MarchYou will get partition elimination and it will only return data from the necessary partition(s) instead of using the entire table. Does that help?

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• To be honest, you shouldn't need to even know the table is partitioned if it's done correctly. The partitioning column, function, and schema should do it all auto-magically.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• That's great, thanks for your replies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply