Views with definition Select *

• I have a case where the view is defined as Select * from table1. But when a column is added to the table, the new column does not come up in the view.

when I try to retrieve data from the view, I was not able to see the newly added column. Is there any way that newly added column to the base table gets auto-reflected in a view?

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Deepthi

• Most probably due to you scema binding is missing...plz check

• I have verified that but with schema binding we need to explicitly mention the column names in Select statement. But here I have select * . And if I mention the column names then I may need to alter the view to add the new column.

Thanks much!

Deepthi

• As far as I know you will need to drop and re-crete the view. I would argue that having the view definition change just because an underlying table has an extra column would be a "bad thing" anyway.

Can you imagine what would happen with nested views and views containing joins etc? If I added a column to a base table, and a view was based on it that joined to another table, if the new column I added was the same name as one in the other table all of a suddden my view breaks due to a name being ambiguous.

So I think the right way out is name all the columns in the view - and if you want it changed then change the definition.

Mike

• Thanks Mike! I just tried with sp_refreshview which worked great in this scenario.But as suggested by you, it is good to specify all the columns when defining a view.

Thanks,

Deepthi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply