VIMP*Backup

• Of course, as long as you're in full or bulk logged recovery and nothing has truncated the log since the diff.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • kiransuram19 (1/16/2009)

I took backup of the customterDB(using Litespeed) and the .bak file size is 15.6MB..

what compression were you using within Litespeed?

on a database that contains a lot of white space this wouldnt be abnormal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• The compresstion level is lite speed default compresstion level(1) ..

The ldf file size is 9.5GB and mdf file allocated size is 4.5 GB( We can assume that data is 15.6 MB in mdf) But when I backup the DB ,why the size is 15.6 MB? wat happened to size of ldf life?

When I do DBCC sqlperf of log file it said log used percent is 99% then what happened to the ldf file size?

-- Please can anyone cleary explain whats happening ....

I have restored the DB and everything is fine but I dont know the exact reason for that as I am new to DB part....

Any help is really appreciated..

• kiransuram19 (1/18/2009)

The ldf file size is 9.5GB and mdf file allocated size is 4.5 GB( We can assume that data is 15.6 MB in mdf) But when I backup the DB ,why the size is 15.6 MB? wat happened to size of ldf life?

When I do DBCC sqlperf of log file it said log used percent is 99% then what happened to the ldf file size?

It's not needed. The full backup does not back the entire log up (that's the job of the log backup). The full database only backup up enough of the log so that, when it's restored, the database can be brought into a transactionally consistent state. The only log records needed for that are the ones from around the time of the full backup. The rest are not backed up by the full backup.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Excellent Shaw .. I got it.

Thankyou verymuch..

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply