Virtualization forum section

• I'm sure many of us have SQL Server on a VM or are planning it and a forum section dealing with sql server-on-VM specific problems may be of use.

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• It's there... just doesn't look that way because (sorry) ... it's virtual. 😛

Actually, it sounds like a good idea. The boys in ops just virtualized all of our machines. None of the problems we had after that had anything to do with SQL server... it was all on the size of VM and those guys not understanding things like still having the need to allocate for a page file, etc, etc. Drove me nuts and have a decent forum to ask a couple of questions on could have saved me a lot of heart burn... the guys in ops aren't real available to us... they're in another state, as are the VM servers, now. And, they don't really like us so they're pretty tight lipped. They don't think DBA's should even know what a "C" drive is never mind making a performance recommendation as to why to setup MDF's and LDF's on seperate spindles on the SAN.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Good idea, I'll add one somewhere. Despite my desire to have less forums, this makes some sense.

• Thanks Steve, I'll add it to my feed reader in a minute.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Feel free to pass it along. I know there are lots of virtualization questions out there.

• Steve,

Google Reader returns "Permission Denied" if you try to subscribe to the RSS Feed on that new forum.

• Jeff Moden (1/9/2009)

They don't think DBA's should even know what a "C" drive is never mind making a performance recommendation as to why to setup MDF's and LDF's on seperate spindles on the SAN.

What, you mean they should? 😉

I was told by someone someone high up in server support (a technical person) at a large international bank (that shall remain unnamed), that he doubted that any of his DBAs would be able to tell you what RAID level any of their drives had, and that was how it should be as only the storage engineers had the knowledge and training to recommend a RAID level.

That was about a week before he referred to me as a "clueless idiot" in a mail to my manager after I had requested RAID 10, dedicated disks for a mission critical server.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/12/2009)

That was about a week before he referred to me as a "clueless idiot" in a mail to my manager after I had requested RAID 10, dedicated disks for a mission critical server.

How dare you demonstrate a stronger knowledge of RAID than the "senior experts" in the field? In that case it isn't rocket science.... Just read the Microsoft recommendations in every whitepaper on the subject.

I love it when people prove that they are morons without me even having to help. That guy probably had velcro on top of his shoes since Laces would be excessive work, although they are better suited to the job in the long term.

• GilaMonster (1/12/2009)

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! Ask the nub if he like pork chops! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply