Visual Studio .Net installation for VB.Net, ASP.Net

• I've been using SQL Server 2005 Management Studio for about a year now - purely for DBA work - not the CLR.  I recently attended a VB.Net course and used Visual Studio 2003 to build out my Objects, Methods, etc.

I have the SQL 2005 Client (w/ BIDS) installed on my desktop (which I use to develop Reporting Services Reports and maintain my SQL Servers) and now would like to have the capability to develop in VB.Net (my current BIDS "toolbox" is void of all the VB.Net items eg. Appl Templates like Windows Application, ASP.NET Web Application, Class Library, etc)

A peer mentioned that he attempted to install Visual Studio 2003 "on top of" his SQL 2005 / BIDS installation (similar to mine) and totally whacked his machine.

Does anyone have a recommendation for installing "a" VB.Net based version of Visual Studio 200x?  

thx in advance  

BT
  • simply use vs 2005 professional or higher.

• Do you know how to add in the VB.Net toolbox items? 

My current VS 2005 (for BIDS) does not contain any VB.Net tools in the toolbox.

BT
  • I install SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition onto my notebook (already have BIDS) and install Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition (with VB, Visual C#, Visual C++, etc). There is no problem.

I have heard from MSFT people that Visual Studio 2005 is newer than Visual Studio .Net. So I think if you install VS2005, you could get VB.Net tools.

Hope this help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply