Voting for Sessions on GroupBy.Org closed and schedule published!

• Update:  Heh... right after I posted a previous message here, I got an email from GROUPBY.Org that the schedule has been published.  There are two tracks for the Americas on May 24th and two for Europe on the 25th.  Here's the link for the schedule .

https://www.groupby.org/attend/

Thanks to folks like you, I'm on that schedule for the 24th!  Thank you very much, no matter how you voted.  They got some pretty cool topics that they're covering for both days.

Please help that SQL Server centric community and vote for your favorite sessions that you'd like to see during the even.  There's a link at the top of the pages (on for the Americas and one for Europe) that has more details.  Here's the link

https://www.groupby.org/vote-now/

Once you're done voting for your favorites, vote for mine.  They're titled "Black Arts Index Maintenance - GUIDs v.s. Fragmentation - They're not the problem... WE ARE! " and I can assure you...  if you haven't seen the presentation before, it'll knock your socks off because I use GUIDs to destroy more than 2 decades of multiple myths having to do with the supposed "Best Practices" of index maintenance, which actually aren't "Best Practices" and were never meant to be "Best Practices".  It even says so right in the documentation and I prove it all and then show you how to make Random GUIDs (and other similar types of indexes) fragment free.

In the end, I demonstrate the results of inserting 100,ooo rows per day into a GUID keyed Clustered index for 58 days with less than 1% fragmentation, which also destroys the more than 2 decade myth of Random GUID fragmentation.  I also demonstrate the real cause of your fragmentation problems with ever-increasing indexes and you get to see the tool I wrote to actually see what indexes look like.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• My "Black Arts" Index Maintenance 1.2 presentation was selected on GroupBy.Org for May 24th, 2022.  I don't know if my "ask" above had anything to do with that but I sure do appreciate it, folks.  I love giving this presentation and I hope you enjoy it, as well  Thank you VERY much!

I'll post the schedule link here when they announce the schedule.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Heh... right after I posted above, I got an email from GROUPBY.Org that the schedule has been published.  There are two tracks for the Americas on May 24th and two for Europe on the 25th.  Here's the link for the schedule .

https://www.groupby.org/attend/

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply