Was This Week A Good Week?

• I think you are correct, Andy: we should have a lot more good weeks than bad weeks or great weeks.

A good week for me is if I can go into the weekend not worrying too much about something, project or personal. If I can keep the gauge in this area, I'm pretty happy.

A great week is when I have a breakthrough, hit a major milestone, have a family experience, etc.

A bad week is if my wife is upset at me. That's also a bad week for the whole family, too. πŸ™‚

• rothj (3/15/2012)

A good week is when I fix more things than I break! 😎

On the button there!

For me, a week without a single meaningful achievement or one that was too full of bureaucracy is my idea of bad week. A good week is where I get to learn, improve something and know I've made things better for somebody else. A great week is where I actually get thanked for having a good week.

• It's been a long time since I've had a good week. We're short staffed and loosing more staff next week. We're getting issues faster than we can solve them. My only consolation is I'm sure that, in this economy, we're not alone; that many others are in the same situation as we are.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• A good week for me is leaving relatively early Friday afternoon after finishing everything I meant to get done, so that I can start Monday morning with a clean slate.

Unfortunately they are much rarer than I would like.

A bad week is one where Saturday is just another workday. :crazy:

• So far, from what I've read here, it looks like a good week depends on your state of mind.

I'm having a good week this week. I have a project that is 3 weeks over due and has been plagued with bugs (my own), system problems (why can't it work in TEST the same way it works in DEV?) and project changes (users and management). The tester was busy and couldn't test this week in time to get it moved to Production.

She brought me an olive branch. (a stick with a can of olives taped to it.) And I have Friday off. Yeah, it's a state of mind. πŸ˜‰

• Any week where I feel I'm kicking life's butt more than it's kicking mine. Purely subjective, and it works for me.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• A good week is when I've accomplished something positive, at work or out in the world. So most weeks are good weeks.

A bad week is usually characterized by having to manage my managers, which usually leads to overtime. By overtime I mean hours over the 45 good hours I give 'em every week 'cause I really try to not slack off (so the scary stuff won't catch up to me ;-)).

As far as state of mind is concerned, I find the serenity prayer to be beneficial because it helps keep everything in perspective (and you don't have to be a member of AA or be spiritual to make use of it). You can't fix it all or do it all and you just have to work on what you can handle and leave the rest for others to deal with. Unless, of course, they need a hand and you have one to spare. πŸ˜€

• I find that each week has its own share of challenges as well as satisfying accomplishments and new opportunities.

So which of those am I going to focus on, dwell on, obsess over, think about when I'm at work, or having lunch, or driving home, or at home?

It's a matter of perspective.

For example, more than once I have found myself sitting at a stoplight in traffic, thinking about my "problems", when suddenly a disabled person in one of those battery-powered wheelchairs appears in front of me in the crosswalk. Suddenly it's like "I have no problems!".

Sure, I still have those challenges to deal with, but when I put them in perspective, they're not so big as I thought they were. And that makes most weeks pretty darn good ones.

• I compare how close to what I planned to do versus what I actually did to measure if I had a good week.

• For me,

it’s a good week if I hit a milestone or figure out a really tough problem.

A milestone can be a number of different things. A week can also turn very quickly from crap to good if suddenly at the end of the week something goes right. It feels good to feel like something has been accomplished and both of those ideas give that feeling (solve tough problem/hit milestone).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'm not sure that I can add a lot to Andy's post because as I was reading it, I found myself agreeing with it to the point that I felt like a had written it myself. However, I will add that I feel that in some strange way, my bad days actully end up contributing to my good days. I know that when I resolve a particularly perplexing problem, I seem to get more enjoyment out of the accomplishment when I have suffered a little and banged my head along the way. I guess in some ways for me the degree of satisfaction in an accomplishement is often inversely related to the degree of pain suffered along the way. That being said, I certainly don't enjoy the bad days any more than anyone else.

• the degree of satisfaction in an accomplishement is often inversely related to the degree of pain suffered along the way

ahhhh the sweet taste of victory...

[font="Courier New"]Looking for a Deadlock Victim Support Group..[/font]
  • As I re-read the comments I was just thinking that maybe there are two groups, those that focus on the journey and those that focus on the destination. I know I've tried to hard to work more on the journey part. The other thought - mainly directed at me - is that its hard to get there if you don't know where you're going.

Thank you all for reading and commenting, I just wish we could sit together over coffee to do it!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply