Way to get rid off old backups in a DB Maint. plan

• Hello everybody,

I have created a maintenance plan for backing up my databases which was scheduled for a particular time. In that i mentioned to delete the databases which were 4 days old. but to my surprise, the backup folder is being appended with the new date backup. the backup folder is not the default one. also breif me what the two file extensions are ie., BAK & TRN.

I am of the view that .TRN will be the transaction log whereas .BAK consists of ? A normal backup will be having 2 files ie., MDF and LDF extensions.

Pl elaborate if anyone has a solution.

Ravi

Lucky

• The BAK extension is usually a full backup. It contains the data and schema, not the mdf and ldf files.

Not sure why your backups are not being deleted. Which version of SQL? Which options have you checked on the bacakup tabs?

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

http://www.dkranch.net

• Ravi,

You might have scheduled a weekly job & mentioned 4 in the options in the command. Hence SQL Server will keep 4 weeks of Backups. If you schedule a Daily Job, then It will keep 4 days of Backups.

If this is not the case, please paste the command (which is in the job) & let us know wheather its a Weekly or Daily Job.

Also let us know what Version of SQL Server you are running (per Andy's Note).

Hope this helps!!!

Regards,

Murali Damera.

• A normal backup will NOT have the extension .MDF or .LDF! To have backups that use those extensions, you have to detach the database and COPY the .MDF and .LDF files. But then those are not true backups (you can't RESTORE them, you have to copy them back and attach them).

A true SQL Server backup (using the BACKUP command) creates a file with the extension .BAK (if you use the database maintenance, then the log backup is .trn).

-SQLBill

• Hello All,

Thanks for your valuable input to my query. I am providing some more information and think that you people will shed more light towards my question posted earlier.

I am having 2 servers with version & releases as follows:

Server 1 - SQL 7 7.00.0623

--------------------------

On Server 1 the Database Maintenance Plan settings are as follows:

Tabs

----

General All Databases

Optimizations Update the statistics used by the query optimizer

Percentage of databases to sample 10%

Remove unused space from database files

Shrink database when it grows beyond 50 MB

Amount of free space to remain after shrink 10% of the data space.

Schedule 1 day at 11.30AM

Integrity Check database integrity

Include indexes

Perform these tests before backing up of the databases or transaction log

Schedule 1 day at 1AM

Complete Backup Backup the databases as part of the maintenence plan.

Verify the integrity of the backup upon completion.

Disk

Use this directory C:\MSSQL7\BACKUP

Create a sub-directory for each database

Remove files older than 3 day(s)

Backup file extension BAK

Schedule 1 day at 1.01PM

Transaction Log Backup Backup the databases as part of the maintenence plan.

Disk

Use the default backup directory

Remove files older than 2 day(s)

Backup file extension TRN

Schedule Occurs every 1 week from Monday to Saturday at 12AM

Reporting Text Reports

Write report to a text file C:\MSSQL7\BACKUP

Delete text report files older than 7 Day(s)

History on this server

Write history to the table msdb.dbo.sysdbmaintplan_history

Limit rows in the table to 1000 rows for this plan

Server 2 - SQL 2000 8.00.760

----------------------------

On Server 1 the Database Maintenance Plan settings are as follows:

Tabs

----

General All Databases

Optimizations No settings

Integrity No settings

Complete Backup Backup the databases as part of the maintenence plan.

Disk

Use this directory H:\sqlbackup

Remove files older than 4 day(s)

Backup file extension BAK

Schedule 1 day at 2AM

Transaction Log Backup Backup the databases as part of the maintenence plan.

Disk

Use this directory H:\sqlbackup

Remove files older than 4 day(s)

Backup file extension TRN

Schedule Occurs every 1 day at 3AM

Reporting History on this server

Write history to the table msdb.dbo.sysdbmaintplan_history

Limit rows in the table to 1000 rows for this plan

Ravi

Ravi

Lucky

• This looks ok. When you say the backup folder is being appended, what does that mean? Can you give an example?

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

http://www.dkranch.net

• Hello Steve,

When appending the backup folder i mean that today if the schedule runs (ie., 23/4/03 dated backup), then the backup folder which is consisting of the earlier backups from 10/4/03 (for example). When we check the "Delete backups older than 4 days" the folder should contain only the backups from 19/4/03 to 22/04/03 as on today before todays backup is taken.

Hope you have understood my problem.

Ravi

Lucky

• Hello Steve,

I did not get any reply from your end for the example provided as you asked me on the other day.

I am waiting for your suggestion.

Ravi

Lucky

• I have noticed from past experience that if the job fails for some reason, it will not delete the old files. For example, I have a very large database that is backed up with a Maintenance plan and I only keep the three days worth of bak files. When the scheduled maintenance plan fails for some reason, it does not delete the files older than the three days. I typically keep tabs to make sure that it is working correctly.

SJ

• First of all the deletion of old BAK files takes place after the current BAK file is successfully created. If it fails, then the earlier bak files that are to be deleted will not be deleted.

Ravi, It seems something has changed. Did you edit the Maint Plan or change the Bak location by copying over the older files.

I would suggest drop the maint Plan and set it up again. Make sure you remove the old files. After four days you should see the Maint Plan deleting these Baks regularly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply