Ways to connect SQL Server to the outside world?

• Hello,

As someone totally new to SQL Server I have began wondering what ways I could get my small databases that I use for learning connected to some form of input/display forms - perhaps via a browser.

Now, I imagine that there are many ways to do this, but perhaps someone could give me a list of the most popular ways to put up a front-end for a SQL database.

I'm guessing that things like VB/C# .NET, PHP etc can do this, but I am looking for something I can do using just a web browser for maximum portability - or at least simplicity.

Perhaps even a guide to what typically are the most popular ways to build a front-end might also be useful for further study.

I.e. if someone were to pick a technology that showed any kind of dominance or popularity in this regard, then it would be something useful to learn.

Regards

Steve

• One quick and easy front end you might have use of is MS Access, you can link SQL Server tables in to it and then build forms in Access for input\output of data.

Barney

• BarneyL (2/16/2012)

One quick and easy front end you might have use of is MS Access, you can link SQL Server tables in to it and then build forms in Access for input\output of data.

Barney

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don;t have MS Acess.

• Excel is the answer.

http://tinyurl.com/7uu7ykt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker (2/16/2012)

Excel is the answer.

http://tinyurl.com/7uu7ykt

Thanks for the info, but I'd realy rather avoid having to use something like Excel. I was thinking more of a browser-based solution if possible.

• In that case getting IIS running on your machine and then making use of something like the latest Adobe Dreamweaver trial to build some web pages could be the quickest way to get yourself going.

Barney

• BarneyL (2/16/2012)

In that case getting IIS running on your machine and then making use of something like the latest Adobe Dreamweaver trial to build some web pages could be the quickest way to get yourself going.

Barney

Thanks once again Barney,. However, I am looking for something that doesn't cost money at this time.

Do you know if HTML has any intrinsic abilities to pass datsa from an OLDB source?

I really want to start - if possible - very basic. or at least know what are the most common ways to front-end a database. For example, I see a lot of jobs requiring .NET skills for SQL Developers, so I'm guessing that .NET is used to build UI's to SQL databases?

I am also amazed how Microsoft haven't jumped at the chance to offer something fart more specific product-wise that would allow such front-ends to be created, rather than using other MS technologies and customising them to talk to a database.

• raotor (2/16/2012)

BarneyL (2/16/2012)

In that case getting IIS running on your machine and then making use of something like the latest Adobe Dreamweaver trial to build some web pages could be the quickest way to get yourself going.

Barney

Thanks once again Barney,. However, I am looking for something that doesn't cost money at this time.

Do you know if HTML has any intrinsic abilities to pass datsa from an OLDB source?

I really want to start - if possible - very basic. or at least know what are the most common ways to front-end a database. For example, I see a lot of jobs requiring .NET skills for SQL Developers, so I'm guessing that .NET is used to build UI's to SQL databases?

I am also amazed how Microsoft haven't jumped at the chance to offer something fart more specific product-wise that would allow such front-ends to be created, rather than using other MS technologies and customising them to talk to a database.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-web-developer-express might be worth a look.

• I would add a vote for Microsoft's Visual Studio Express Editions...

They are free, powerful and there are tons of how to videos and support available for them.

I know of several business people that have built their company's data centric website and intranets using nothing more than the free Express versions of Web Developer and SQL Server.

Strongly recommend taking a look at them, download them and give them a shot.

John

• Thanks for the recommendation John.

I did geet the same product suggested to me by another member here and although I haven't yet downloaded it, it looks promising.

I suppose the only question I have is, what happens to my SQL Developer Edition I have installed if this product also comes with a version of SQL Server?

• raotor (2/17/2012)[/bI suppose the only question I have is, what happens to my SQL Developer Edition I have installed if this product also comes with a version of SQL Server?

You can download the various components separately also.

John

• Thanks once again John.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply