Weird behavior in Transform Data Task Properties window...

• Between starting this question and finishing it, found the answer...

Continuing to post in case it helps someone else.

While looking at a Transform Data Task Property window, I was trying to see the destination table name. The drop down window would not expand, and I could only read the first 25 characters of the name. Unfortunately, that was used up by the database name: '[mydata_test].dbo.xxx'. And the filename only showed the first 3 characters, which additionally unfortunately were used by about 20 tables.

No matter what I did, I couldn't read the whole file name. Tried cutting and pasting - no luck. Finally a coworker ran a script that revealed the file name.

But while complaining to another co-worker about the stupid design by Microsoft, they said: Put the display on your laptop, not the external monitor. My work setup is a laptop, with a 17" flat panel secondary monitor.

I had been using the larger external monitor.

Sure enough, moved the windows to the desktop, and the drop down list for the table name expanded to allow me to read the entire file name. Moved it back to the external monitor - no expansion...

So if you ever run into this issue, and are using dual monitors, put the Transform Data Task Properties window on your primary display.

Another tip: still another co-worker said to save the DTS as visual basic code, then you can read thru it using notepad and find the file name...

Steve

• Is this SSIS or DTS? Or DTS on SQL 2005? It isn't clear..

CEWII

• I am using SQL Server 2005, the DTS Designer 2000 addin, working on a legacy DTS.

Steve

• Wow, thanks so much for posting this.

I have 2 * 19" monitors side by side. I had been viewing this on the sceondary monitor, on the right. Dragging it across to the primary monitor did the trick!

I may have stumbled across it eventually but it was causing me no end of hassle (counting tables, guessing from columns, etc!).

Thanks again

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply