What a nice place to be

• Hi All

can I just say, (I know I've been around SQLServerCentral for a good while, I still consider myself a newbie at this), what a fabulous community this is.

I've kind of inherited a baby dba role as part of my support job, I'm a one man team supporting a company with branches around the globe to whom we (I) provide full desktop support and a web based quotation system. This is SQL based and this is how I ended up here.... trying to figure out ways to improve the system as we go along, and as much as I'd love to find an opportunity to allow me to develop as a proper DBA instead of a "fiddler", it's never gonna happen here.

Anyway, I digress, I just wanted to extend a very big thank you to one and all, despite my ignorance, I have always found the information here to be very useful and I have not been made to feel inferior in any way due to my lack of knowledge.

• Awesome feedback , Mike.. I concur completely on whatever u said about SQLServerCentral.. :smooooth:

• What an incredibly thoughtful post. Thanks for starting my day off right, Mike! 😛 I hope a lot of the frequent posters get to see this one because it'll make their day, too! 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thank you for such a nice thought and courteous thing to do.

There are many in the community that can use a post like that from time to time.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• You made my day Mike, Thank you! 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thank you for the kind words.

Welcome (belated) to SSC and please stay a long time.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Mike Cunningham (9/16/2010)

Hi All

can I just say, (I know I've been around SQLServerCentral for a good while, I still consider myself a newbie at this), what a fabulous community this is.

Anyway, I digress, I just wanted to extend a very big thank you to one and all, despite my ignorance, I have always found the information here to be very useful and I have not been made to feel inferior in any way due to my lack of knowledge.

I heartily concur!

Julie

• Mike, thank you very much.

It's people like you that take the time to do things like this that makes us all realize why we do all we do for this site.

Truly, I thank you very much!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I agree, well said Mike! 😀

Hope this helps,
    Rich

[p]
    [/p]

• Hear hear!

I have lost count of the amount of times that I haven't even had to ask a question because it's been exhaustively answered here! Thank you all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• You certainly know how to win friends and influence people, Mike. A lot of us share your sentiments.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I would also like to thanks SSC.

I have learned lots of new things from the articles, posts as well as forums posted on the sites.

Thanks

• I've said it before on different forums here - hell of a lot of knowledge here - and nice people as well. Just remember that there are no dumb questions here - only dumb ways of asking them.

My tools in order of choice BOL, Google, SSC - I've never been lost for an answer after a day or so using these three.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply