What actualy is the "Initial Size (MB)" displayed in the 'Files' tab of database properties ?

• Hi,

What actualy is the "Initial Size (MB)" displayed in the 'Files' tab of database properties ?

I was under the impression that, it will always show the actual "initial size" of the data and log files when DB was created. But I notice that it changes as the size of those file changes. Then why is it displayed as "Initial Size (MB)" , when it always shows the "current size" ?.

Thanks in advance.

Smith.

• I had opened a ticket with Microsoft and this point came up in the discussion. I wasn't able to shrink a data file and they asked me to check if I am trying to shrink the file to less than the 'initial size'.

That was indeed the case but my argument was that the initial size increases as the data file grows. So the above assumption means that I can never shrink a data file since the initial size always reflects the current size.

They had not answer to that one and we proceeded with finding what is preventing me from shrinking the file.

If you find an answer to your question please let me know.

Blog
    http://saveadba.blogspot.com/

• Thank you. Let's wait and see if anyone else replies to this thread.

• The initial size is the size that you have set (or left as the default) in the model database for that sql server.

In mine it is set to 3MB for the data and 1MB for the logs.

If your user database gets created using the model database, then it will take these sizes initially. Unless you specify something different.

Then, later, if you empty your user database and then shrink it, it will only go as small as the initial sizes mentioned above.

(I think. Anyone disagree?)

Regards,

Dave.

• As I understand it, you can't shrink the files smaller than the size of the model database, but you can shrink smaller than the creation size of the database if it's larger than model. Not sure what happens when your database has more files than model, but never mind.

Smith is correct in asking about "initial size", since this is the name of the column shown in the Files tab of the Properties window of the database. If you increase the size of a file, the "initial size" changes. I think it's just that the column is badly named.

John

• It is just sys.master_files.size * 8 / 1024.

• If you ask me it is a worthless number. Does it really matter what the the size of the mdf or ldf file were when the database was created? I wish it would show current size instead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply