What am I ?!

• I vote for Systems Engineer/Database Administrator ...

Your duties resemble those I had at a healthcare provider and that was my title. But be wary, it sounds cool but it is sometimes hard to break out of 'a title'.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• And be aware, salaries and raises could be based on title (at least my experiences). Managers are good at finding salary ranges for "titles" and geographic region from various resources and then tie them back to you. And why is it that they always seem to keep me in the middle of that range???? 😀

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• That's very true. Many HR departments buy surveys and use those titles to set ranges.

Maybe that's what you should do? Look for a good paying title and lobby for it!

And fill out those surveys. They do come back to alter ranges every 5 years or so at many companies.

• Yeah, it's clear that certain job titles convey certain 'signals' that's why I was initially not keen on DBA as when ever non tech people see the word 'admin' they tend to think its a lowly crappy role.

In terms of something which focuses more on the elements I enjoy then that would be creating the SQL queries and discussing new possible projects with colleagues. (Take the example I am working on at the moment - a weekly process which involves someone else running about 5 different queries and pasting various results in to a spreadsheet, someone else sending them data, someone else checking something and providing feedback etc - I'm making it so a Job will run all the queries and populate several tables, the excel spreadsheet is linked to SQL and linked to these tables etc)

The stuff I don't enjoy much is basically the rest of it lol - so the fixing problems with printers (pet hate), helping users who are really crap and don't understand basics concepts, calling mail or web hosts when the mailserver is down etc.

Make of that what you will! (Suggestions for job titles, career progression, even suggested courses are all welcome!!!)

• Database Analyst is a useful job title as well...just my 2c 🙂

• Don't know if you've made your decision yet, but I'd say pick the title that keeps the most of what you like doing, and leaves you career path opportunities, chances to learn new things and grow without having to move outside your description (just in case).

Oh yeah, and check out salary.com before you make a decision and make sure that you, um, accidentally, fall into a job description that might require a pay raise. 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Nope, far from it, I still need to make a decision, and a proposal I guess :p

• Let us know how it goes. This was an interesting discussion.

• Matt Miller (6/20/2008)

O.D.A.A ("other duties as assigned", another one of my pseudo job descriptions)

Matt - Have you worked in government? When I was in the Air Force, I worked with a government civilian and he said that literally, that was the last line of his official job description! I know that applied to those of us in the service as well.

peitech- You should be glad you can choose your own job title. I feel that allows you to express more accurately what you do.

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Ian Crandell (6/26/2008)

Matt Miller (6/20/2008)

O.D.A.A ("other duties as assigned", another one of my pseudo job descriptions)

Matt - Have you worked in government? When I was in the Air Force, I worked with a government civilian and he said that literally, that was the last line of his official job description! I know that applied to those of us in the service as well.

I'm in the civilian healthcare field, and that tagline is appended to each and every job description. It's a nice CYA for whomever wrote the description, so they don't have to argue about whether a task is or isn't in someone's job duties.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I would go with an IT guy

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply