What are the best MS Exam 70-229 Preparation Materials?

• Hello all,

I am currently working towards the MCSD for .NET.  I have completed the 310 and 305 exams and am ready to begin preparing for the 70-229 exam, Desiging SQL Server Databases. I have 1 1/2 years experience developing in SQL Server. Does anyone have an suggestions as to the best exam prep materials? 

So far I have looked into the following books and from the comments I've read, the best two choices seem to be either Inside MS Sql Server 2000 or Prof. SQL Server 2000 Programming. Neither of which are aimed directly at exam prep but appear to have the best content and still prepare you adequately .

Can anyone give me some guidance as to what the best decision might be?  Thanks so much.

Chris

MCDBA SQL Server 2000 Database Design Study Guide (Exam 70-229)  Syngress
    MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Design Study Guide (Exam 70-229) Sybex
    MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCAD Training Guide (70-229): SQL Server 2000 Database Design and Implementation Que
    MCAD/MCSE/MCDBA Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database Design and Implementation, Exam 70-229, Second Edition MS Press
    Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2000 MS Press
    Professional SQL Server 2000 Programming  Wrox
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I used the Sybex book and Transcenders. This was a good combo.

However, I wouldn't say the Sybex book is "great". I have looked at a lot of books that might help someone prepare for the 70-229 test, and I didn't find any that I would call "great".

The Sybex book is a little too heavy on theory (esp chapter 1), and it's a little too detailed with how data is stored in particular data blocks and index blocks.

And it's sample questions are mostly useless. That's where Transcenders comes in - they have great sample tests, and they explain the right and wrong answers pretty well.

Eric

• thanks for the info! another person has recommended the sybex book as well. i may go with it.

chris

• I used the Que book and Transcender to pass 70-229 and I can recommend the Que book as the best certification book that I have read yet. I have also used Sybex for other exams (70-215 and 70-305) and found that these books often leave out important topics. If you are going to use Sybex, wait for the second edition so they can correct issues.

See also:

http://www.cramsession.com/boards/vbms.asp?d=764760&pvm=False

• I haven't used Transcender yet but my nephew who has multiple certifications swears by them. He said using Transcender is indispensible for exam prep.

• I haven't takent the exam but have been using the QUE book for learning with a view to eventually taking the exam at some point and have to agree with the post above that it is certainly one of the best development books I have read. Very well written, good level of detail.

• For a follow up, I ended up reading through the Professional SQL Server Programming book (mainly because I found it in the office) and also used the Transcender exams and I passed with a 835. 

A note on the book - the first 6 or 7 chapters are VERY basic.  I basically just paged through them.  It did get into some good stuff though later on like discussion on locks, transactions, partitioning etc...but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a book to use for exam prep.

I think I will go back to the QUE books for the remainder of my MCSD.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply