What domain rights does the sql server Service acount have to have ?

• I'm having one of those days....me and the Sys admins are not on the same page.  Anyway,  what I would like to know is,  is there any reason that the domain service account that I use to start my SQL servers needs to be a domain admin ? 

I really don't think so, but I would love to have some help researching this.  If you have any ideas,  I would really find it helpful.

Thanks.

Steve B.

• ..domain admin ? No reason at all !

It doesn't even have to be local admin on the box ! The one installing sqlserver needs to be member of the local admins windows group at install time.

If you want sqlserver or sqlagent to do e.g. a copy to a remote location, it needs rights at that remote location to be able to do the operation.

So, like mentioned on top, there's no reason to be domain admin ! IT IS A WORST PRACTISE !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks for the reply.  What about the creation of the SPN at install time..  I suppose that can be taken care of by installing the SQL Server under a local system account, and then changing it to the domain service account when that's done ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply