what else to Tune

• there is a third party appliaction running in the company where i work. Recently they have been gettig lots of sql timeout messages.

I ran SQL Profiler trace and found a couple of queries that took between 5secs to 10 minutes to complete in the profiler. But when i run those queries from my PC they complete in seconds.

I have update the indexes, updated the statistics. But the performance is still not better from the clients side. what else should i do or check for to performane tune?

• Are they running stored procedures? Are you runnning ad hoc query?

If the answer is yes for both try to recompile.

If not please post more details (like if it's sp what happens when you run it directly to the DB)

can you post execution plan for both?

Kindest Regards,

Roi Assa

• you need to profile to see if the delay is between client and server or in the proc execution first.

If the proc execution is the same then you need to profile the execution plans and compare them for differences.

Never assume because you can run the query quicker from QA it's the sql server, many third party apps should never make the marketplace and it's a constant source of wonder to me why businesses happily buy poor apps - they wouldn't buy a car or house which exhibited similar results!!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Check the queries for unnecessary work been done or inefficient queries

Check the blocking on the server

Check for hardware bottlenecks (disk, memory, cpu, network)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply