What happens to the Databases when SQL Server group is taken offline in Cluster

• I am wondering what would happen to all the databases and connections when the SQL server group is taken offline in a Cluster.

Will it issue Checkpoint to all the databases? or it is like SHUTdown with nowait?

• When you take a resource offline in cluster administrator - it is the same as stopping the service. It is a service shutdown - and yes, the system will perform an immediate shutdown of SQL Server.

All databases will be offline - all connections to SQL Server will be terminated and the service will not fail over to the other cluster node.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• And also I think it wouldn't be a clean shut down of SQL server as in WITH NO WAIT but I am not so sure though.

• Krishna Potlakayala (4/14/2009)

And also I think it wouldn't be a clean shut down of SQL server as in WITH NO WAIT but I am not so sure though.

It is a clean shutdown of SQL Server - the same way you would have a 'clean' shutdown if you went to the service and stopped the service. SQL Server will recover just fine from this kind of shutdown.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Alright great, Thanks Jefferey. One more doubt cleared 🙂

• Thanks! Jeff. That is good to know. Save me a lot of worries. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply