What he's really saying is he doesn't need the job

• Received this from the boss this afternoon:

While reviewing resumes, I ran across this additional candidate's comment in the cover letter area:

Please consider attached resume for posted position.

And accept my compliments for the worse damn web hell I've ever gone through in order to submit it.

He gave it extra points for honesty, but I don't think we'll be interviewing this particular candidate anytime soon. I mean, even if your dog is ugly, no one likes to be told that their dog is ugly, right?

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • I think it speaks more to someone's inability to deal with frustration, improper presentation of their opinion, and the likelihood that he/she will inappropriately use sarcasm.

Definitely not a team player, and no, I wouldn't bother interviewing this person.

• I would give that resume the hairy eyeball, but I think I'd still consider them, but only if they looked so great as to be able to drop that sort of sarcastic reply right up front. However, I know I wouldn't ever write such a statement on a resume I was submitting because, I think, most people's responses would be more in line with Steve's.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I think it shows that even though the web has been used for recruitment for several years now, it is still often not as smooth as it should be.

I wouldn't have held these comments against the candidate as they were pretty tame compared to what they could have said!

Cheers, John

• I'm with Steve. I've worked with people who lash out like that when frustrated and it wasn't fun. I would never, ever put something disparaging like that on a resume cover letter. How does he know we aren't proud like new parents of our web site?

• On the other hand, it does make me want to come check out your company's website. 🙂

Oh, and one more thing: There is no "i" in team, but there is an "m" and an "e". 😛

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• "Please consider attached resume for posted position.

Also, I would like to draw your attention to what I feel are sever deficiencies with regards to your resume submission web app. I would be more than happy to discuss my experience and where I see potential for improvements with your web team.

Thank you for your time and consideration."

It is possible to express frustration in a professional manner that does not reflect negatively on the individual expressing that frustration. Not only that, but I believe that this individual, by replying with HELPFUL CRITICISM instead of sarcasm, with all of its negative connotation, could have shown him/herself to be a team player.

I whole-heartedly agree with those who would not interview this individual.

Just my 1 and a half cents.

• I might interview the guy, but it would be mostly for entertainment value, and would depend on whether I had the free time for that kind of thing or not.

At the very least, I'd want to get data from him on the application page, since it might actually have problems that might be turning away people who would otherwise be hireable.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Timothy J Hartford (4/23/2009)

"Please consider attached resume for posted position.

Not only that, but I believe that this individual, by replying with HELPFUL CRITICISM instead of sarcasm, with all of its negative connotation, could have shown him/herself to be a team player.

Do you really think that's an appropriate place to express frustration? When you're submitting a resume? Maybe if the job posting said something like, "...and fix our ugly website."

The situation here is that the HR folks have contracted with an outside vendor to handle resume submissions through the corporate website. And the vendor's website sucks, but HR thinks it's fine (probably because HR doesn't use it; they just hire idiot cousins and in-laws). And the rest of us have a tough time hiring people, even in this downturn.

• That's the point. He turned his frustration into a positive. By pointing out an issue in a positive way, he has potentially opened the door for himself.

In the suggested reply, I saw NOTHING to imply frustration. Just feedback of perceived flaws, and how he could help.

As far as the resume submitter knows, this may even be part 1 of a test...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Even in Tim's more polite version, restated from the "worst damn web hell" of the original, the respondent is giving us feedback we didn't ask for. The point of responding is to get an interview. The job post has the usual laundry list of technologies, skills, and background questions. Why not just respond to that?

• Dave (4/23/2009)

Timothy J Hartford (4/23/2009)

"Please consider attached resume for posted position.

Not only that, but I believe that this individual, by replying with HELPFUL CRITICISM instead of sarcasm, with all of its negative connotation, could have shown him/herself to be a team player.

Do you really think that's an appropriate place to express frustration? When you're submitting a resume? Maybe if the job posting said something like, "...and fix our ugly website."

The situation here is that the HR folks have contracted with an outside vendor to handle resume submissions through the corporate website. And the vendor's website sucks, but HR thinks it's fine (probably because HR doesn't use it; they just hire idiot cousins and in-laws). And the rest of us have a tough time hiring people, even in this downturn.

Dave,

No, I don't think that's an appropriate place, unless as you suggest, applying for a job as a web designer ;). My point was that the manner in which he stated it, heavily laden with sarcasm, is more likely to be read as offensive then anything else. Communication in and of itself is not bad, but in any correspondence where you are not familiar with the individual there should be a certain level of professionalism. If the web page sucked and it was through an outside vendor I would want to know. To bring up an earlier point, I don't mind being told I have an ugly dog if someone is showing concern that the dog may have something wrong with it's health, even if the person informing me is wrong. In polite conversation I would read that as concern. Now add sarcasm to it and I will immediately think that person's being rude.

• Good point, Timothy.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• When submitting a cover letter for job positions, this is your very first impression to your potential employer, do you really want a statement like that as your first impression? Bad form.

I have learned during my job searches that it is always best to hold off on submitting anything to potential employers until you have let it alone for an hour, or have a new set of eyes look it over, it is my best piece of advice for job seekers, as it has saved me from many faux paus.

I have however, after an interview always respond to an interviewer with a compliment or complaint and it is usually well received. 😉

• Timothy J Hartford (4/23/2009)

In polite conversation I would read that as concern.

Not to belabor the point, but there are some things in some situations that it is impossible to say politely. It's like being invited to someone's house and telling them, "I can help you fix that crack in the drywall." Like Lisa said, you're trying to make a good first impression, and walking in the door pointing out flaws is not it. My mom used to say, the whole world isn't entitled to your opinion on every topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply