What is a DBCC TRACEON 208?

• I have a server which should be idle and I get messages telling me that the CPU is over 90% for over 15 minutes. Specifically SQL Server is at 99%  I looked in the SQL Server log and saw these messages: Lots of them every 5 to 15 minutes

DBCC TRACEON 208, server process ID (SPID) 54.

Does anyone know what this message means?  I have looked in books online and they don't list the 208 flag.  IF I do a DBCC TRACESTATUS I get nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

Brian

• 208 sets quoted identifier on

See this article for more information:

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/rd_traceflags.asp

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Thanks, Ok I think I figured out what is happening.

I have recently installed Quest's LiteSpeed and it probably sets that on for updating the statistics in its central repository.  Makes sense now.

The CPU spike was caused by a new process I put in to purge backup/restore history and it was run for the first time last night and took 15 minutes.  Now it takes 16 seconds.  Much better.

Thanks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply