What is a good SQL Server strategy for copy/move database tables between two location in different networks?

• What would be the best strategy for a SQL server database copy/move from a source location separated by the Internet to a destination? (preferably automated)

In this case both locations are not connected by VPN.

They are on different domains/networks.

The frequency of getting the copy from the source will be approximately twice a month.

Prefer to use a MS SQL Server solution rather than custom programmatic solution

• don't have a possibility of to use a VPN? just by security!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • My first instinct on reading the title and intial requirement statement was to suggest snapshot replication.

However, for something twice a month, I'd suggest a simple SSIS package, or even a web service. Either one can bypass domain-difference issues.

You might be able to do something with a linked server, using SQL security to bypass domain authentication, but that will invoke the distributed transaction coordinator, and that's often a huge bottleneck, especially if it's a lot of data.

If it were my project, I'd use SSIS. It's a toolset I'm comfortable with.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi,

You can use either SQL transactional or Snapshot replication but i recommend transactional type and based on the size of the database you need to decide the method of initializtation.

if the database size is not that big, you can initalize using Snaphot if not use a backup file.

then schedule the distributor job to replicate (Or push )the updates to the subscriber once per week.

Or you can consider SSIS package scheduled weekly to move the data to the other location.

Regards,

Nesma Mounir

http://nesmamounir.wordpress.com/

• My problem here is both the systems are not on same network... How to configure Replication if Both the servers are on different network...

• odanwada (6/7/2011)

My problem here is both the systems are not on same network... How to configure Replication if Both the servers are on different network...

Use SQL Server authentication, instead of Windows authentication. I set up snapshot replication between two domains, and set up an SQL login specifically for that. It works.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Use SQL Server authentication and grant the SQL login access to both servers and it will work perfectly fine

Regards,

Nesma Mounir

http://nesmamounir.wordpress.com/

• Use SQL Server authentication, instead of Windows authentication. I set up snapshot replication between two domains, and set up an SQL login specifically for that. It works.

i agree!!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • 1-Take Full Backup in the shared folder of network 1 and then other network have rights to restore from this shared folder

2-You can Use FTP from 1 network to another and then restore on the second domain

3-Create the backup device on the other network shared folder and then restore on it

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• GSquared (6/2/2011)

but that will invoke the distributed transaction coordinator

not to mention all the NetBIOS port coms it requires

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply