What is Exceptable performance for SP / Views / functions

• Hi there everyone,

We are trying to improve the way we doing this we our DB's: We have this new process (which is probably normal for everyone 🙂 we are little slow here.

Applying scripts (sp's, views, functions) from Dev >> Test the DBA does this process: reviews the scripts and checks the following to see if they are acceptable to be moved into production. At the moment we have the items to checked.

Check developement standards,

Check formatting

Check comments added in appropriate places

Check that joins are using indexes, and where claues have appropriate indexes (covering, etc)

Apply script into the Test Env, then use statistics to view IO / timings

I have a couple of questions, are we missing anything from the above process?

What would be acceptable performance statistics? runs < 2secs etc..

your help would be much appreciated.

cheers

• There isn't a single value that I can tell you to give to that. It really depends on your system. You might have some huge report that pulls together thousands of rows and a 5 second run time for it is magnificent. You might have a very simple single row insert where a 5 second run time would be horrific. But saying that all queries have to run in less than 2 seconds... no, you can't. It depends on what the queries are doing, how much data is being moved, etc. That's not even taking into account that a 2 second run time on a test machine may be faster or slower than the production box. We had a situation where a query was CPU dependent. In production it was running in about 2 seconds, but when we tested it on another machine it was running in 1 second. I'm sorry to admit it took me several hours before I looked at the configuration on the boxes and noted that the second machine had a CPU that was almost twice as fast as the production box.

I'd just be sure of your development standards, make sure you're getting all the easy things that can lead to poor performance.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply