What is point in time recovery?how to plan for it

• Hi

All

what is point in time recovery how to plan for it??

• Point in time recovery allows you to restore a database to a certain date and time.

Let's say you had a someone delete a table on Monday @ 9am. With Point-in-time recovery you can restore the database to 8:59am on Monday just before the failure happened and get the table back.

The prerequisites are that you have to have the full recovery model enabled on the database, and you have have database and transaction log backups up to the time of the problem.

This works extremely well for development issues where rows were deleted out of a table incorrectly, or something of that nature. It doesn't really work as well if the whole server goes down because you lose your current transaction log if you have to rebuild the server.

The one thing to remember is that if a problem occurs and the server is still operational, you need to backup the transaction log immediately so that you retain the transactions leading up to the issue.

• Thanq ROOKIE

but thing is like this

Database in full recovery model,every day morning iam taking fullbackup,and every hour iam taking translog backup,in evening ofter taking 4pm backup(transbackup),system crashed at 4:45pm,but thing is i lost my MDF in system but i found LDF file as it is

so, now ihave to recovery that 45 min data also is it possible please help me 

• If you lost your system completely, then you will only be able to recover to your last transaction log backup, which in your case would be 4pm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply