What is the difference between PRODUCTION server, DEVELOPMENT server, TEST server in SQL server???

• What are all the server environments(like PRODUCTION server, DEVELOPMENT server & TEST server) available with SQL server and what is the difference between them?

• Production server: This is where live data is stored

Test Server: The server, you can use to test the application

Dev. server: The server where the actual development of the application takes place.

Tanx 😀

• Thanks - Eswin

Is there any other server environment other than these servers?

Thanks,

Keerthi

• SQL Server Environments are not defined by SQL Server, they are defined by your organization and implemented on SQL Server.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Another usually found is - QA server

Some application also use - Staging server

• Financial Testing Server

User Acceptance Testing Server

Performance Testing Server

Continuous Integration Server

Production Support Server

Sandbox Server

You can add them as you need them. They're all just SQL Server servers, just supporting different processes within the enterprise. There's no difference between the SQL Server code from one of these to the next. You may set up different behaviors (databases in full recovery mode in production and simple in dev for example) on the different environments, but they're all still the same code.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• RBAK (3/31/2009)

What are all the server environments(like PRODUCTION server, DEVELOPMENT server & TEST server) available with SQL server and what is the difference between them?

You may want to check Three Tier Software Development methodology. 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Yopu might want to add warehouse server or Bi database server. Normally these environements house the databases catered to Reports or dta warehouse.

***As previous posts said, it all depends on the organizational and busness requirement and need.

• I am also confused too..esp.when it comes to the SQL Server licenses...

Can I use Developer Edition in any environment other than PROD?

• I think licensing allows for production licenses to be used in test environments, but you'd need to check the MS site. Licensing seems to change regularly.

• sunny Brook (4/1/2009)

I am also confused too..esp.when it comes to the SQL Server licenses...

Can I use Developer Edition in any environment other than PROD?

The Developer edition is normally intended for use by a developer on his test/development system.

But the basic rule is that you need one license per server whether Development, Standard, Enterprise, etc. How you use the server is up to you.

Derek

• From my reading of Microsoft's licensing information, you are NOT allowed to use Developer Edition in Production. However, you can use Standard, Enterprise, Workgroup or Express Editions in any environment.

• One other one to add to the mix here,

a "training server".

• while we're at it, there's also

DR server

Reporting Server

OLAP server (but that would be the same as BI or would it???) 😛

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply